1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

carpet behaviour

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by 100ebaker, Jan 30, 2012.

1. I have a student who as asked for some support with her carpet time behaviour management. When teaching during carpet time and a child starts talking or fidgeting on the carpet what can you do to stop them without having to stop the lesson e.g. raise voice, click fingers etc

Sounds silly but I do it without thinking so I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for her.
    thank you for any suggestions

2. Your student sounds good for coming to ask for advice. They need to try a range of ways and see what best suits them best. We are all so different.
    Thinking about what I do ....
    I often use my hands while in full throws of teaching or a look often does the trick.
    However if there behaviour doesn't get better then the lesson has to stop, remind said child of the rules and get back to lesson.
    Are they talking for too long on the carpet or have you a fidgety class??
    xx

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Sometimes I stop the class. But if possible I try a signal that won't disrupt the flow of the lesson eg:
    • give the look!
    • sign "look at me", "good listening" etc
    • gently touch the child on their arm or shoulder - persistent wrigglers are usually sitting very close to me.

4. Thank you, she is a good student, I think she feels a bit silly doing certain things which she needs to over come. My class are nursery so young and fidgety all the time!

5. Don't keep them too long.They are babies.Be aware that they are being 'fidgety' and let them go and be children.

6. hurny

hurny New commenter

I use a few different strategies. Firstly I have carpet rules, I have taken photos of the children to demonstrate 'sitting quietly', 'legs crossed', 'good listening' and 'hands up to speak'. These are stuck to my board and the children all know what each one means.
    When a child is talking I might say their name point to the rule and tell them "remember" if they continue they will get warnings. They know after 2 warnings their photo comes off of the class 'sun' and goes on the 'cloud', if a child is on the cloud they will have 5 mins time out, so it would be 5 mins extra on the carpet once everyone else goes to activities. I have never got past the 2nd warning.
    Other strategies I use are praising children who are sitting quietly, saying "I wonder who will be the Star of the Day? It has to be someone who remembers the carpet rules", I have rows of children and a chart on my board, the best sitting row gets a tick on the chart and the row with the most ticks on a Friday gets their row number written on a trophy.
    I often find pausing saying nothing and giving a child 'the look' works well.
    If the children are restless, I will do some 'copy me' actions with the last one being calm and quiet.
    Sometimes when they come in from lunchtime play all excited I play relaxing classical music put on the windows media player screen on the IWB and they watch the swirling graphics....hypnotising!!

7. hurny

hurny New commenter

I've just read they are nursery, so some of my suggestions might not be as appropriate.
    When I was in nursery we kept carpet times to a minimum and they were usually quite active, e.g. action songs, games, action stories etc.
    Praise for the children sitting sensibly usually worked in getting the others to sit quietly and listen.......... apart from the few who would always roll around on the floor!

8. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

I use the reminders as suggested, I ask children to move away from each other if they consistently talk/ fidget/ are not concentrating when sat next to each other, actions work well, but also remember children are children, some will fidget .. let's not get ourselves worked up too much, let them fidget if it is not a huge problem. Better to get on with it assuming everybody else is on task, rather than stop/ interrupt for just one child. Also, at times, if I have seen lots of children fidget, I just accept it's not working, let them do something else and come back to thew carpet once they've had 5/10 minutes to get it out their system ...

9. I had the same problem on a nursery placement. I got out a sheet of stickers for children who were displaying 'good sitting' at the start of the carpet activity. All the children sat perfectly for their sticker.

10. Stickers are usually a good idea, I have nursery Pre-school children who also roll around on the carpet but have just started using stickers and they have worked a treat so will continue with this. Also agree that they should not be kept there for very long as their attention span is not great at this age.

11. I had a lot of fidgeting recently in my class (reception year) and someone suggested that I offer my boys and girls the opportunity to play with an elastic band. This was very successful. I now put elastic bands in a cup in the middle of my morning ring and if a child would like an elastic band to fidget with they are able to take one. I have clearly stated rules - no flicking, putting in mouths, hurting or distracting others. I have not had any problems with misuse and it has calmed my class down considerably. It may work with even younger children as I know the middle group teacher does it as well (4-5 yrs).

12. I'm a student teacher too and am just coming to the end of a placement in Reception. One of the things I found hardest about the change from juniors to FS was accepting that not all children would be sat perfectly all the time. It's really distracting and you feel like you're not doing a good enough job.

Maybe your student partly needs to realise that some fidgeting is going to happen and that's ok. I found that once I relaxed about the very minor things, it was easier to concentrate on the learning and spot when behaviour was becoming a problem.

One idea I really like in my current class is 'Who's sitting like Mr Bear?' The children all know that Mr Bear (who sits on top of one of the speakers) sits up straight and tall, looking and listening but never talking. It works every time!