1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Caroline Quentin, just stop it now! (an irrational and trivial rant.)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Professor Dumbledore, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

Your M and S ads are infuriatingly smug!
    I really like CQ, she has always come across as a down to earth and normal woman, but her series of ads for M and S are really irritating.
    I had a real rant planned out when the ad just came on but it's totally gone out my head now. If anyone agrees, please tell me why I find these so irritating. I think it's the air of "perfect woman-ness" which M and S tries to convey.
    Also, I am ashamed to admit I really like the new Go Compare advert. Pointless thread, yes. But I am bored until Raiders of the Lost Ark comes on.

2. Professor Dumbledore

Your M and S ads are infuriatingly smug!
    I really like CQ, she has always come across as a down to earth and normal woman, but her series of ads for M and S are really irritating.
    I had a real rant planned out when the ad just came on but it's totally gone out my head now. If anyone agrees, please tell me why I find these so irritating. I think it's the air of "perfect woman-ness" which M and S tries to convey.
    Also, I am ashamed to admit I really like the new Go Compare advert. Pointless thread, yes. But I am bored until Raiders of the Lost Ark comes on.

3. Yup, I'm with you Prof...otherwise like her as an actress but the M&S adverts make her come across as very smug, self satisfied and full of over achieving perfection...reminds me of Nigella (who drives me to distraction - I'm sure she's lovely in real life and an excellent cook but she really irritates me)

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

M&S food ads are always quite annoying. Remember the ones with the actress who used to be in Ballykissangel? All the sexy sexy voice over? They try to hard to sell a lifestyle rather than the reality of grub to stuff yourself with!

5. What is she telling us? You can have your family all together in a crazy fun filled atmosphere without spending hours in the kitchen,you can be a larger lady slurp a few vinos and dig your spoon into salt/fat/sugarand it'll all be alright.
    No wonder M&S went for her.

6. I just don't believe - or maybe prefer not to believe - that Caroline Quentin could really be that sort of person in real life. If I meet women like that I have to restrain myself from stabbing them with a fork.

7. Why restrain yourself? At least a virtual stab would be fun.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I hope it's the correct type of fork, just to keep up with the smug M&S lifestyle!

9. Professor Dumbledore

You obviously can't though, as she is now advertising their "Simply Fuller Longer" range. In other words saying, "I've advertised M&s's delicious-but-ridiculously-bad-for-you luxury Xmas food for the whole of the Xmas period...Now spend £3.50 a pop on their "healthy" meals to make yourself feel better for splurging."
    Bleurgh!

10. Spend £3.50 and you too can look as smug as me and ever so slightly naughty.

11. Thing is, there's nothing I like better on a Friday night than a no-effort M&S dine-in-for-a-tenner and the bottle of (usually not very exciting) wine. I don't want it besmirched and despoiled by the sight of Ms Quentin coming over arch and twee. Couldn't they have got Anthea Turner for that?

12. Professor Dumbledore

"Naughty" in this "ooh naughty me - I might just have a SECOND glass of wine!!!" being one of the most appalling words ever!

13. Professor Dumbledore

missing word after "wine" = context
    I blame caroline

14. She used to be so funny on that improv. comedy 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' back in the eighties (?)

15. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Perfect match of personality to brand.

16. Caroline Quentin is an actress and is acting a part. Irritating I know, but it is still acting.

17. Exactly.
    It's not actually real, folks - honestly she's not really, really trying to annoy you personally.
    *rolls eyes*

18. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I'm pretty sure it was her voice on the Tesco advert at Christmas that said when the shops were going to open.

19. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

It does not look like those posh healthy meals are doing her much good.

20. Caroline Quentin gave us a right old dirty look once when we walked past her coming out of the Granada building in Manchester. Mind you, my not-so-subtle friend had just declared quite loudly "Ooh look, there's Caroline Ahern!" [​IMG]