1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Carnival music- help!

Discussion in 'Music' started by velma_kelly, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I thought I'd pick your brains... I'm going to be doing a concert with upper key stage 2 children in July where the theme is Carnival- has anyone got any ideas of what kinds of music/songs we could play? Bear in mind I will have 2 groups- a recorder group, which has been going for about a year, and a keyboard group which will be starting after the holidays. Both groups will be playing at a very basic standard so the music has to be easy!

If anyone has any suggestions/ideas I would be really grateful- I've been racking my brains for weeks now to no avail!

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

3. v12

v12

The carnival is over - The Seekers (1968)

4. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

5. Kinds of music: Calypso, Soca, Samba - should get everyone in the party spirit.
    The Seekers' song might mention a carnival but is possibly one of the least festive tunes I have ever heard. In fact I think it was also the tune of a hymn we sang in assembly as children (What a Friend we Have in Jesus).

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

If the OP has got a good selection of percussion (especially some big, loud drums) entering in a samba procession could work very well. One of my great memories of Barcelona is the deafening noise of rival samba groups processing through narrow streets in the old town during the La Merce carnival in September.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

La Bamba is in this book for keyboards - The Complete Keyboard Player Book 1:
    http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0113/details.html
    Can't seem to find a sample page to see how tricky the keyboard part is, but there is a CD to go with it which might have a lively accompaniment to it. Perhaps worth a look.
    What recorders do you have? Just descant or trebles Do you expect them to play unison or can they manage harmony?
    Yellow Bird Calypso is in these books:
    http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/018803/details.html - Descant recorder trio
    http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/08627/details.html - Descant recorder duet
    There are teacher books to go with these that have accompaniments.

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter

P.S.
    The recorder trios book also has a piece called Calypso Carnival - sorry, left that off the info for you.

9. 99.999% of the planet does carnival at the beginning of Lent.
    It is a religious festival after all.
    Never understood how Carnival was possible at any other time of the year.

10. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Are you sure of this percentage?
    Canada - Events are held from Friday to Sunday throughout every third weekend of August
    UK -
    Birmingham - held every August
    Leicester - first Saturday in August
    Notting Hill - the August Bank Holiday Monday and the day beforehand
    Leeds - every August Bank Holiday weekend
    Bristol - first Saturday in July
    USA - too many to list here that are held in the summer!
    Yes, originally just before Lent for the origin of carnival, but I think Caribbean carnival is different.

11. Jonkanoo is celebrated at Christmas time in Jamaica and other Caribbean countries, for the reason that that was when the slaves got a day off.

12. Carne is the Italian word for meat, as in chilli con carne. Carnival was the last time you could eat meat before a partial fast in Lent.
    Most of the Caribbean is Catholic- Cuba, Florida, Venezuela, the French islands such as Martinique, Mexico etc. along with Italy, Spain, South America, Angola, Philippines, California USA and Baja California...