1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Carlos Ezquerra, Rest in peace

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Carlos Ezquerra, the artist who brought us Major Eazy, Strontium Dog and Judge Dredd, among others, died today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    An excellent artist who illustrated the imaginations of many adventurous children. Rest in peace, Señor Ezquerra.

magic surf bus likes this.
  2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Bloody Hell you know you're getting old when your favourite comic artists start popping off.

I loved his 2000 AD art for Strontium Dog, but thought he was maybe a little out of his depth with Judge Dredd. To my mind he was strongest with personalities and small scale stuff but a bit lost in trying to visualise massive futuristic cities. His quirky visualisations of Johnny Alpha's mutant chums like Kid Knee, General Torso, The Weerd Sisters and Middenface McNulty are etched into my memory forever. One of the first artists to be properly credited in a British-published comic, thanks to the enlightened editorial policies of Battle and 2000 AD. French commercial artists have been credited since at least the 1920s, and American comic artists had cult followings by the 1960s. It wasn't until the late 1970s that Ezquerra et al received proper recognition in the UK.

RIP Señor - thanks for sharing your imagination with us.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah crikey...

RIP Sir, loved your work.

Now I feel old.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

These SF threads are getting a bit hipsterish.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

You are the one with the beard.

magic surf bus likes this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Much too neat for a hipster

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I had a beard before they were hip..

..when they were hip, and after they were hip, which is basically an unending 5 year cycle.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well his death has inspired me... I've been meaning to reread Judge Dredd for a while so today I ordered one of the casebooks... time for some classic LAW!

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  9. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I might have to sit down and re-read all my copies of 'STARLORD', which was a sister magazine to 2000AD, with much higher quality printing. The original artwork on Strontium Dog was a revelation. It really showed what Ezquerra could produce when he had time and the right print set. His work on Dredd never reached quite the same quality.

BTW - I used a lot of his pictures when teaching different interpretations in history. A lot of people see Dredd as a 'tough but fair' hero. Others see him as a fascist thug running a police state. The fact that the eagle design on the shoulder was drawn straight from Franco was a bit of an eye opener. Always goes down well with students, too.

Vince_Ulam and lanokia like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The Guardian has an opinion piece today expressing similar sentiments.

Still got a lot of love for the 2012 film... lot of hope for the Mega City One TV show as well.