1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Carl Beech found guilty

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Jul 22, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Carl Beech has been found guilty of 12 counts of perverting the course of justice and one of fraud. Sentencing on Friday.

LunaBlue123, lanokia and Marshall like this.
  2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I hope those that Beech falsely accused have some comfort from the verdict, although taxpayers will presumably not get back the £2 million wasted on fruitless investigation of Beech's fantasies and lies.

3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Watching the news and I am shocked at what he has done to people. I didn't follow it before due to circumstances. What can be done to ensure something like this doesn't happen again?

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I find I feel a deep anger towards people who abuse children and adults.

I find I feel a deep anger towards people who make false claims against people that they abused adults and children.

IMO Beech's sentence should be the cumulative amount the men he accused would have received if they had been found guilty.

5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

The pain and anxiety he caused others is immeasurable.

grumpydogwoman and nomad like this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Beech is a criminal and a liar. He will, I hope, rot in prison.

But shouldn't the spotlight now be turned on those, esp. in the police and judicial system, who allowed themselves to be taken in by his fantasies?

For example to the police (e.g. Supt Sean Memory) referred to in this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ppeal-victims-come-forward-child-abuse-claims

I'd also say that there should be no investigation on cases solely about the deceased; if someone is dead they can't be prosecuted!

Laphroig likes this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

How would genuine victims find closure if the purpetrators of crimes against them can't be held to account, whether they are alive or dead? It's important for victims to have acknowledgement from the state that they were indeed victims; and in wherever possible, get compensation for their ordeals.

A prosecution will only go ahead when there is sufficient evidence to warrant it. Surely there can be nothing worse for a victim to know that whoever committed a crime against them died with an impeccable reputation?

One of my employees confided in me that she had been repeatedly raped by her step father, but never told a soul about it for fear of upsetting her mother. He died at a relatively young age. She told me how sickened she felt at the funeral that the eulogy spoke only of him in glowing terms, that she'd rather not have been there as she loathed every bone in his body and only attended for the sake of her mother.

She told me that I was the only person she had ever spoken to about it. I have no reason to doubt her story to be true.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not sure I agree with this. Savile was dead before the investigations began!

9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

That is not the purpose of the criminal justice system.

FrankWolley, nomad and artboyusa like this.
  10. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

How did this obvious liar nearly get away with those grotesque allegations?
    Bold liar + ambitious police + unquestioning media + general social guilt/embarrassment over Savile fiasco = gross miscarriage of justice is how.

lexus300 and lanokia like this.
  11. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I think it entirely depends on circumstances. You can’t prosecute someone who’s dead but you can investigate the circumstances which allowed the crimes to take place, for example the extent to which complaints were ignored, if there were others who acted on behalf of the accused to cover up the crimes, or who were part of an organised network who sought to facilitate the crimes.

lanokia and nomad like this.
  12. florian gassmann

The papers are certainly having a good go at Labour's Tom Watson this morning:

upload_2019-7-23_7-15-45.jpeg

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And not without good cause, IMO.

Jesmond12 and florian gassmann like this.
  14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Cometh the hour...
    He made full use of the public frenzy around paedophilia in high places.

15. FrankWolley

Yes. Exactly. What a waste of public money. Let journalists etc investigate the dead, and the police the living.

16. FrankWolley

Yes...hence my use of the word 'solely'. But - IMHO - most stories about 'rings' or 'organised networks' are the stuff of fiction.

Remember the 'Satanic Abuse' scandal?:eek:

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And, in my opinion, Watson's actions were politically motivated.

When Lord Brittan died in January 2015, Tom Watson wrote an article in the Sunday People newspaper to accompany its revelation that the peer was under investigation by Operation Midland. Watson wrote how one "survivor" told him that Lord Brittan was "as close to evil as a human being could get in my view". That person was Carl Beech.

In the article, Watson wrote: "It is not for me to judge whether the claims made against Brittan are true." However, the following month, he tweeted: "I think I have made my position on Leon Brittan perfectly clear. I believe the people who say he raped them."

18. FrankWolley

Sorry, but that's not what the criminal justice system is for - and a report saying that a dead person is actually guilty is, of itself, never going to be 100% definite because a significant part of the evidence is not available.

Your second story is very sad...but how would a police investigation into the dead perpetrator actually help the victim?

19. florian gassmann

I was astonished to read this morning that, inbetween his lies and his sickening paedophile activities, Beech had a long career as an NHS manager, was a governor of two schools and was appointed as an inspector by the Care Quality Commission.

That's a very good question, and I don't have an answer, but the inquiry into the Met's actions, by Sir Richard Henriques, listed 43 failings in their investigation. The three police officers at the centre of these errors have not faced any disciplinary measures and all three have been allowed to quietly retire from the Met on full pensions. The Met Commissioner at the time, Bernard Hogan-Howe, has been rewarded with a peerage.

nomad likes this.
  20. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

You might not know whether someone was acting on their own or bad connections until you investigate would be my point.
    And by rings and organised networks I was thinking more Rotherham etc.