1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Caring for animals

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Phoenixchild, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

How far is too far?
    I know I push my limits in giving houseroom to waifs and strays but I can't help it, what's the difference between a person who will take an animal or 10 in and care for them compared to someone who won't?
    I don't want a fight as to the rights and wrongs, I'd actually like a clear explanation from someone who wouldn't as to their reasons and how they could support their own feelings if living with someone who would give house room to all in need at the drop of a hat.
    And if anyone answers and there are other folk who feel like me I'd appreciate a discussion and not an emotive we're right and how can you be so heartless response.xx
    [​IMG]

2. Phoenixchild

How far is too far?
    I know I push my limits in giving houseroom to waifs and strays but I can't help it, what's the difference between a person who will take an animal or 10 in and care for them compared to someone who won't?
    I don't want a fight as to the rights and wrongs, I'd actually like a clear explanation from someone who wouldn't as to their reasons and how they could support their own feelings if living with someone who would give house room to all in need at the drop of a hat.
    And if anyone answers and there are other folk who feel like me I'd appreciate a discussion and not an emotive we're right and how can you be so heartless response.xx
    [​IMG]

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My reasoning for not taking on lots of waifs and strays is that they would not be compatible with the waifs we already have.
    We have two rescue lurchers. I like cats and have heard of some in need, I would love to rescue some battery chickens. They wouldn't be safe with us though. I think it would stress the dogs out too. I have seriously considered taking on another dog but it would be a squeeze in the car, one might feel their nose pushed out of joint, one would be left out when they go into kennels, two can share etc, etc, etc. So many reasons not to but the temptation is still there!

4. Phoenixchild

Mine are all cats, 2 litter sisters, 1 abandoned male, one severely injured, rescued and adored stray. I baby rescued from being the last of the liter they couldn't get rid of and were probably going to drown.
    Now, not for the first time, a pregnant female who turned up today. I named her Shadow, aptly as it happens, she hasn't left my side.
    I want to look after her 'til she has her litter, I've done it before with another female who dropped 4 so I know what I'm doing! Re-home the babes and keep her, she's won my heart already. He is angry and says no, get rid, phone someone tomorrow and get her gone.
    I don't want this to be about him and me 'cos it's more about me being a daft mare who'll just take them and love em. Part of me even knows he's probably right, but I can't let her go to who knows where.
    So, what would you do?xx
    [​IMG]

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Cash comes into it. Vets, food, cattery, all are enough to give me pause. But I wouldn't take any notice of the bloke. Then again my partner would have several cats if they could be relied on to be happy together.
    Can you get her spayed? Some vets are okay with chopping the lot. I think that would be my solution.

6. Phoenixchild

I know the expense, pregnant and then milk feeding females eat loads and cost a fortune!
    I would like to get her spayed after she has the litter, call it my catholic conscience if you like but I can't bring myself to get them gone. Though I'm so bloody angry at the people who didn't get her done in the first place!xx

7. Then you need to find good homes for the whole litter, and that is not easy.
    The expense is enormous - I used to breed cats.
    I decided, one day, that no matter how much I love animals, my home is a home for my children and that I need time for them, rather than feeding kittens rejected from their mother with a pipette every 2 hours.
    Even without kids - no, I would not do it again. I would give money to an animal shelter, but the cats, dogs, hedgehogs, birds, etc, that I used to look after - no. I had no life. They did, but I was tied to the home.
    Call me selfish, but I am not going there again.

8. I couldn't do it either PC, I understand. Kittens are usually relatively easy to rehome. Are you thinking of keeping the mummy-cat? xx

9. Yup. They are cute.
    Many are then dumped again - like the ones you want to take in.

10. I beg your pardon
    Please quote to me the part which says I would take a kitten in
    Not that I have to justify myself to you but I have two cats, both rehomed from a resuce centre BECAUSE they were old and no one else wanted them [​IMG] Really don't understand what I said which provoked such an unpleasant response.

11. It was a general we.
    No need to get so shirty.

12. Phoenixchild

The Cat's protection leaugue helped me rehome the last lot and I would have kept mom if the horrible neighbour hadn't come back and reclaimed his breeding/money machine.
    Am hoping they'll help me find homes for this litter, good homes, that I know, in as much as you can, that people will care for them.
    And yes, I want to keep mom this time.xx