1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Caribbean vs abu dhabi vs malaysia/Thailand - help

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by kirstysufc, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Hey,
    I am pretty certain I want to teach in the Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos BUT the schools in Abu Dhabi and Malaysia/Thailand seem to be offering a package that is a lot more financially viable. From people's experiences am I better going for the lifestyle and not worrying about finances or persuing the best package?
    I have now worked in 2 tough inner city schools with challenging behaviour and although I don't want 'angels' I wouldn't mind having a few years where every lesson isn't stressful. Anyone taught in any schools in these countries have comments regarding general attitudes to education?(I feel england's biggest problem is pupils don't see a reason for education due to benefit state.)
    Any advice greatly appreciated as I'm 100% about moving abroad but now doubting my destination
    Thanks!

2. Hey,
    I am pretty certain I want to teach in the Cayman Islands or Turks and Caicos BUT the schools in Abu Dhabi and Malaysia/Thailand seem to be offering a package that is a lot more financially viable. From people's experiences am I better going for the lifestyle and not worrying about finances or persuing the best package?
    I have now worked in 2 tough inner city schools with challenging behaviour and although I don't want 'angels' I wouldn't mind having a few years where every lesson isn't stressful. Anyone taught in any schools in these countries have comments regarding general attitudes to education?(I feel england's biggest problem is pupils don't see a reason for education due to benefit state.)
    Any advice greatly appreciated as I'm 100% about moving abroad but now doubting my destination
    Thanks!

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Depends what stage you are in life (ie your age).
    If you are below 30 I would suggest doing the more financially viable option - the Middle East. Malaysia/Thailand don't pay as much.
    Once you are happy you have saved enough, then go for Caribbean where savings won't be so crucial.
    Regards teaching experiences, Brit curriculum schools in ME will most likely provide a better teaching experience.
    The Caribbean is more likely to offer less satisfactory classes and some Paradise Islands are far from it (Bahamas).
    Bottom line, do your research for financial, social and professional aspects then make your choice.
    I am ready for the caribbean........... [​IMG]

4. hockeysticks

hockeysticks New commenter

I have a friend working as a primary teacher in the turks and cacos - she loves it although her pay does not allow for savings etc,

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

In that case, I would imagine that Malaysia/Thailand beats the other locations that you mentioned, hands down.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Mrs Hippo and yours truly have recently returned from a delightful holiday in Malaysia, so I am very much inclined to agree with SuperDave. Mrs H is now saying that I should be applying for jobs in the Far East!
    On the other hand, the overall packages offered in some schools in the ME are probably better. Is making lots of money your no. 1 priority? Then go to the Gulf. If you are happy to settle for a bit less cash, some charming and industrious students, and a pleasanter lifestyle, then I would say that Thailand or Malaysia has to be a better bet. Just don't try to eat any durian and stay away from anyone who has!