1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Carer's Allowance

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Feb 26, 2020.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Any experience of this ? SIL is applying. She shops for the Mum once a week and does a bit of cleaning for her and gets prescriptions ( but is unable to get her out of the house as both the cars are not ' wheelchair friendly '. ) To be honest she is about to lose the ' allowance ' her ex partner was very generously paying her ( they were not married and she has never worked though her first husband left her / two children well provided for ). She has a new bloke now ....... . Phoned my husband last night to say that as from the end of this month she no longer has an 'income' so .... I recall reading about C A a while back when my Mum was diagnosed with AMD and has other issues associated with being 87 but could never justify being around her ( and maintaining my sanity ) the 35 hours a week required to claim ? His sister also spends @ 8 weeks out of the county touring in their caravan currently and commits to doing the school run with her 5 grand children on some days too. She is not that ' local ' to her Mum either. Just wondering if she has thought this through ? Any thoughts ?

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

My first (and only) thought is that this sounds quite complicated and confusing.

Jamvic likes this.
  3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

She would have to put in a lot more hours.

Jamvic, ilovesooty and mothorchid like this.
  4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

It doesn't sound like she's doing the required level of care to qualify.

For anyone wanting to apply - Citizens Advice supported my friend when she applied for it. Her initial application was turned down, so she went to CA and they went through the forms with her. Her appeal was successful. For context - her 59 year old husband had early onset dementia, was declining rapidly and needing round the clock support.

Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

No my thoughts exactly. Mum is sharp - no cognition issues. Does not have a carer now. Can shower, get herself to bed and cook for herself. Yes mobility is an issue but she is 90 soon. She gets around the house with a walker. She should have someone in every day to help putting on compression socks but will not pay for that so the NHS have come up with some wrap around thing ? As I says currently the daughter visits once a week so I don't see how this can stretch to suddenly needing 5 hours a day with no great change in circumstances. The Mum's AA could / should pay for the extras she needs

Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Ask the CAB. Are you thinking of Attendance Allowance?

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

In which case I doubt she's qualify and although I'm out of touch these days, but I'm fairly sure that to qualify the recipient of the care would have to already be on Attendance Allowance.

Jamvic and minnie me like this.
  8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

No.Mum already in receipt of AA. I think my point is that the daughter now ‘needing’ some kind of income ! is thinking of applying for CA but I very much doubt her Mum’s circumstances will qualify. Most family members will help out with shopping and a bit of cleaning ( I do with my Mum) but I think she has underestimated the level of need required to be funded via CA ?

Thanks for the responses

Jamvic, emerald52 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

It has a smack of trying to con the system to me. If she does apply and get the benefit, then I would feel uneasy. The system of benefits isn't there to provide an income because she feels like having one. Maybe she could try looking for work? If she likes the idea of care work, there are usually vacancies out there.

10. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

Lara mfl 05, Jamvic and mothorchid like this.
  11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Of course, what she does and what she says she does may be different things. (There is a sense of this from the OP.) I would hope the DWP could spot the difference.

minnie me and Jamvic like this.
  12. will_osweighton

will_osweighton Occasional commenter

AIUI Carer's Allowance is an income-replacement benefit, so in order to qualify the daughter needs to be doing a level of care comparable with any other employment. Hence the minimum care requirement of 35 hours per week.

Lara mfl 05, mothorchid and Jamvic like this.
  13. will_osweighton

Me too. It would be fraud.

14. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

That’s the feeling I got about it from the description of the circumstances.

15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

She has never worked

16. will_osweighton

That doesn't matter. But it's meant to be a replacement-income benefit, just like jobseekers' is for unemployed people or ESA is for people too ill to work. Carer's is for people who cannot work because they have a big caring responsibility.

Jamvic, theworm123 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes I understand that . My point is that she has chosen not ever to get a job and been provided for by a husband and then a partner. There is not a ‘big caring responsibility’ to undertake - she admits that she is pursuing it because it helps her financially. I think also she is responding to what someone mentioned casually in a conversation and who was not in full possession of the facts / circumstances

18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

She needs to apply for JSA/Universal Credit.

Jamvic and sadscientist like this.
  19. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

Jamvic likes this.
  20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

There'll soon be plenty of jobs for 'low-skilled' workers.