1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

carer and part time TA?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by sherry205, Sep 29, 2015.

1. sherry205

sherry205 New commenter

Hi I'm currently a full time carer but i've been told I can work and earn up to a £110 a week after deductions. I don't understand how much I should be earning in order to get £110 in the end. Because if its £7.50 an hour its slightly more but is that without deductions :-/ I'm really confused. I've applied for a part time (15 hours weekly) job doing TA work.

2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Hi.

I found 2 days a week I was comfortably under the limit.

3 days might put you just over the limit so you'd effectively be getting slightly more than Carers allowance but working very hard.

I also did a years full time TA job and lost Carers Allowance entirely.
    Earnings are spread over the 52 weeks so you can't claim Carers Allowance in the holidays.

I'm currently doing the odd day of supply work. With variable earnings I get a form to fill in every 2 months when they get round to it.

I reported my situation last December. They're still sorting out payments from December to April.

It seems to me that Carers Allowance takes every bit of your circumstances and turns everything to its advantage to stop your money.

There is a site that gives advice ( notably to pay money into a pension scheme to put your deductions up) which comes up if you google Carers Allowance variable earnings.

With the upcoming tax allowance

3. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Can't edit or continue writing above.

What I was about to say - with the new Tax Allowance you might be just over the earnings threshold. There's also a working hours threshold of 16 hours I think. If the school adds 15 minutes to each working day you'll be over the threshold.

If you go over the earnings threshold you lose all of your Carers a Allowance - there is no sliding scale.

Be very careful what you agree to. In my experience the job you're offered may not be what you expected. The Business Manager will be asked questions about your rate of pay and hours and how you are paid.

Good luck.

4. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Some Supply agencies do Supply TAs and Cover Supervisors. They have a fixed rate of about £50-60 a day. The drawbacks would be constant pressure to do long term work or more days than you wasn't. And the right pain of dealing with variable earnings.

5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

More days than you want, is what I meant to write.

(New website makes editing very difficult on ipad)