1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Careers prospects for a secondary Geogrpahy teacher?

Discussion in 'Geography' started by Kat263, Mar 27, 2012.

1. I would say it is pretty competitive. I have 3 years teaching experience (as my last post was maternity cover) and have been unemployed since August. However, I do live in the SW where I think it is particularly competitive as no one ever seems to leave! I have been to a few interviews this year (in the SW and midlands) and the number of applicants seems to generally be around the 80+ mark I think. Although the English Bacc should help increase numbers, some schools now teach 'humanities' rather than georgaphy as a distinct subject, so history and RE teachers might be used to teach geography (and vice versa).

Others may disagree but it my opinion it is a pretty competitve subject!

2. Hi, I'm just about to start a GTP to become a Geography teacher, I agree that it's a compettitive market for jobs at the moment. I think to have a really good chance of getting a job at the end of you're course you need to get knowledgeable and passionate about the subject and the school environment and get yourself some connections. A good way to start this is to get some experience in schools local to you now. Send a few e-mails and try and arrange a 2 week placement somewhere with a good reputation for humanities. It'd be great experience to draw upon at the PGCE interview and further down the line, it'll also show you are pro-active. Ask for them to write you a reference at the end to include in your portfolio. It helps if you have a recent CRB check, otherwise they may not be inclined to take you. This is the route I took and it definitely helped me get the GTP (which I hear is very hard to get on to) and I think it could help me in the future too, especially as I gained a load of resources. I agree that the E Bacc could increase the numbers of students doing Geog, but I don't think it will be drastic. I imagine it may mean 60 or 70 applicants for each job rather than 80! Funding wise, I believe that if you didn't get a first in your degree you may be entitled to extra cash to top you up to the top level of funding available if you can demonstrate you have additional relevant knowledge and skills gained from employment that used Geography (i.e applying GIS in the classroom gained from working in planning) - read the small print on TDA funding pages. Good luck with your application!

3. The market for Geography teaching is VERY competitive.
    I am an experienced (8 years) Geography Teacher, who has been hunting for a Geography job for the last 4 years! It is hard work, especially here in the NW. I have seen a real change in perspective, the schools don't even bother to provide feedback to unsuccessful candidates because there are soo many applicants. I used to be able to contact schools and get pointers for improving my application if I didn't get an interview, that said I usually got the interview, now I don't.
    Personally I would advise those looking to teaching to look to shortage subjects, the Eng Bac hasn't had the effect people were expecting, so there are lots of teachers, like me still looking for jobs.

4. missgeo

missgeo New commenter

Depending on where you are it can be very competitive - I live in an area where there are few jobs so lots of competition. However from looking at TES jobs there seems to be lots of teaching opportunities in the South-East and everyone from my PGCE (in a competitive) area has found a job so I think it depends on how flexible you are.

5. dhartley25

dhartley25 New commenter

I would agree with many of the others that it is very competitve but I would also say it is not a lost cause. In the next few years the teaching proffession is likely to experience a shortage again in teachers (like 9-10 years ago) as the governement's recent policies have hit numbers applying.
    Some ways I would recommend you increase your chances:
    - Be flexible about which area you want to look for jobs in. Try not to be constrained about location as this will widen the net. Some areas (especially the South West) are especially competitive as there is not much movement. Again I know this can be hard if you have a family or mortgage but if you are serious about increasing your chances then I recommend you be flexible.
    - Get involved in some projects before/during your training to beef up your CV. I did some voluntary work with an agency that went into schools and ran business days. Just look for some of these in your area. Even Youth Clubs are a great place to volunteer. Or go for something Geography specific - conservation volunteers are always needed etc.

I hope these points help. E-mail me via TES (click on my username) if you would like any further advice.