1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Careers for former maths teachers

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Archiemedes, Feb 23, 2011.

1. I am a qualified maths teacher who worked in the job for eight years with some success, in the narrow terms of GCSEs and SATs at any rate. For various reasons, nothing sinister(!), I have left the profession and worked on supply. I am now considering a total career change and I was wondering if anyone here could answer the following question:

What jobs do teachers in general, and maths teachers in particular, do when they leave the profession?

I have researched this to some extent on t'internet and one job which looks interesting and hadn't occurred to me was technical writer. There are other maths-related suggestions based on money, and a friend who works in business keeps trying to convince me I could be a squillionaire as some kind of accountant but it *really* doesn't interest me (and there's extensive expensive retraining anyway.) So as I trawl the job sites and can anyone suggest what I might be looking for. Any help much appreciated.

2. I am a qualified maths teacher who worked in the job for eight years with some success, in the narrow terms of GCSEs and SATs at any rate. For various reasons, nothing sinister(!), I have left the profession and worked on supply. I am now considering a total career change and I was wondering if anyone here could answer the following question:

What jobs do teachers in general, and maths teachers in particular, do when they leave the profession?

I have researched this to some extent on t'internet and one job which looks interesting and hadn't occurred to me was technical writer. There are other maths-related suggestions based on money, and a friend who works in business keeps trying to convince me I could be a squillionaire as some kind of accountant but it *really* doesn't interest me (and there's extensive expensive retraining anyway.) So as I trawl the job sites and can anyone suggest what I might be looking for. Any help much appreciated.

3. After I left teaching I got a job running Graduated Assessment for OCR - there's a range of different jobs at awarding bodies so might be worth a look.
    I can't really say beyond my own experience but do make sure the 'generic' teacher skills you have come across when you apply for jobs and get interviews. Of the top of my head:
    • Proper practical ICT skills
    • Crystal-clear communication with a range of different people (eg 11 year olds and governors)
    • Time-management ('sorry 11B4, I'll have this lesson ready for you first thing tomorrow...')
    • Cost-cutting/efficiency
    • Performance management (of self and others)
    • Ability to assimilate a range of information quickly, interpret it, and present it to others (new GCSE specs, results, edicts from Whitehall)
    • Versatility
    • Coping under pressure
    Sometimes private sector folk just need it spelling out how highly skilled teachers actually are!
    Kevin

4. DM

DM New commenter

What are you going to be working on when Graduated Assessment ends kev (if that is not a nosey question)?

5. The new linear GCSE at the moment. I'll probably pick something else up as well once Graduated properly goes since linear specs don't need as much looking after. I had half expected to be developing/running a Use of Maths AS/A level with some FSMQs by now, but we know what happened to all that!

6. Did you guys ever start the Use of maths/FSMQ work? are there any 'prototype' resources available to look at?
    That would be nice
    Or what ideas did you have in terms of content/level etc? (If you are able to share that) [​IMG]

7. DM

DM New commenter

8. On the original post my question would be:
    Do you:
    (1) Love the maths?
    or
    (2) Love the teaching?
    I think that shapes direction for me. I couldnt number crunch with my maths 'skills' and would far prefer to be involved with spreading learning rather than work in finance.
    Is money a driver for you? I would like t work in a nice library but the wages/career progression probably wouldnt fit. I thought about teaching adults then thought again.
    Teacher training takes my fancy or as a <strike>facilitator </strike>consultant for an LA but the way things are going I would see that to be secure.
    Perhaps I should take my kids advice as many plan to go on X factor...that seems a realistic option for many of them

9. I am thinking of being an amateur layabout.......

10. Firstly: Thanks for the reply.

I enjoy the maths but I also enjoy the communication. And money is not a major factor. I'd even take a pay cut.

I should say I went on to Primary supply and teaching a very wide variety of subjects is ideal but I'm not looking for the ideal job - that would be great of course - just ideas beyond the usual accountancy etc. Like I said on the OP technical writing looks good and matches my "skill set" and interests it was something I came across with a scattershot Googling approach and I wondered if the laser-guided brains ;-) of Connect would alight on other targets.

Lots of maths teachers leave the profession, and apparently it's the same in the US and Oz, I just wondered which careers do they follow as an alternative?

11. Thanks for these. All *very* good points. Especially the crystal clear communications - it seems obvious but how much of our time do we spend actually tailoring the topic at hand to the audience sometimes even down to an individual level. This is an unusual ability - I was thinking superpower when I wrote ability there :)

One of the great things about the job is/was the fact that you are stretched in so many directions. Though when taken too far and/or in the wrong direction this is also one of the drawbacks too.

As I have said in another reply: Lots of maths teachers leave the profession, and apparently it's the same in the US and Oz, I just wondered which careers they follow as an alternative?

12. Apologies for multiple posting - I'm trying to get this to be a reply

Thanks for these. All *very* good points. Especially the crystal clear communications - it seems obvious, but how much of our time do we spend actually tailoring the topic at hand to the audience, sometimes even down to an individual level? This is an unusual ability - I was thinking superpower when I wrote ability there :)

One of the great things about the job is/was the fact that you are stretched in so many directions. Though when taken too far and/or in the wrong direction this is also one of the drawbacks too.

As I have said in another reply: Lots of maths teachers leave the profession, and apparently it's the same in the US and Oz, I just wondered which careers they follow as an alternative?

13. I've often wondered the same thing Archiemedes, not that I'm thinking of leaving but it did just puzzle me.

From my school we have not had any maths teachers leave the profession but we did have the following:

Science teacher to do TEFL in Spain

English teacher to teach in Australia

History teacher to work in publishing

Language teacher to work for Network Rail in timetabling

Music teacher to manage a Youth Hostel

Sorry not to have any more maths specific information to hand but I would think that most of the usual career paths open to maths graduates would still be open to someone who has taught for a while.

14. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

I know of plenty of ex maths teachers who made a career for themselves in senior management.

15. i stopped after 23 years with nothing to show for it, i have never earnt enough money to save to buy a house for my family so I became a lorry driver last year and now earn almost twice what i got teaching and never seeing my family due to all the prep work

16. DM

DM New commenter

Nice timing as we return to work after half term mr-average.

17. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Already been back a week, DM, so...

My son, all of 5 years old at the time, on his return to school after the summer vacation asked - before he had even gone to his class - "when is it holidays again?".