1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

careers day at school

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by rn, Jan 31, 2011.

1. rn

rn

Would anyone be so kind as to share any successful formats they have used when running a careers day at school?

My thoughts are to get outside speakers in to speak to groups in the morning, on a carousel basis, and in the afternoon to have lots of colleges/universities/careers branches like police/army etc put up stalls for the pupils to investigate.
    I am concerned about the lack of structure for the afternoon -two hours wandering around will lead to boredom and mayhem.
    Any ideas gratefully received!

2. rn

rn

Would anyone be so kind as to share any successful formats they have used when running a careers day at school?

My thoughts are to get outside speakers in to speak to groups in the morning, on a carousel basis, and in the afternoon to have lots of colleges/universities/careers branches like police/army etc put up stalls for the pupils to investigate.
    I am concerned about the lack of structure for the afternoon -two hours wandering around will lead to boredom and mayhem.
    Any ideas gratefully received!

3. You may find that each 'stall' has information and possibly activities for the students to do so they won't be just aimlessly wandering around. The events that I have attended often have a laptop so they can show students who are interested how to register on their website, use their website to research careers etc.
    Try to get someone from the National Apprenticeships service and they will have lots for them to look at. Is Connexions still operating in your area? They love to attend such events.
    Good Luck!