1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Careers Adviser Role help

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by david_smithcareers, Mar 8, 2017.

1. david_smithcareers

david_smithcareers New commenter

I have been tasked with taking charge of the CEIAG in my school from next school year.

I am not sure on where to start with this and was wondering if you had any advice.

2. bkingsnorth

bkingsnorth New commenter

I have been teaching Careers and Citizenship for over 7 years now. If you click on my profile I have some curriculum mapping documents I have created for delivering PSHE and Citizenship and Careers to KS3 and KS4 also if you have twitter lots of fantastic ideas on there I follow a lot of Careers and PSHE and Citizenship teachers also on my twitter page at cps_tweet I tweet out Careers projects for students to do and photos of all the work they produce could be useful for ideas. Direct message me if you want more support or help :)

3. oliver_springpod

oliver_springpod New commenter

Hey David, good luck on the new role!
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

4. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

If you are the Careers Lead for a school ... you have a lot to do! Some things are quite urgent as the new strategy came into force in Jan 2018 with more to follow this September

1. Start by getting your head around the Gatsby benchmarks and then work out where your school is in relation to them. The CEC Compass tool is excellent for this https://www.careersandenterprise.co.uk/schools-colleges/compass-benchmark-tool and very useful to take to your Head to support the need for things/budget as it compares your school to the national average

2. Read and digest the 2017 strategy and the 2018 statutory guidance. In there is says clearly what you have to do and by when. Consider getting some training... the CDI Careers Leader course is excellent (not affiliated to them... have just done the course and found it extremely useful)

3. Work out who your partners are. Are there any SLAs in place? Who is your advisor from the CEC?

4. Find your school's careers policy and provider access policy. Check they are current and up to date and published on the school website.

Then you can start and look at prioritising guidance, the curriculum, work related learning, university work, staff development .... it can be a massive job, depends on how far you want to take it.

Make sure you are given time to do all of this as it can be a big job, depending on what is already in place. The case studies from the DfE seem to suggest 15 hours max teaching.

Good luck and enjoy

5. wevved

wevved New commenter

Sorry to drag up an old thread. Where can I find this information regrading maximum 15 hours teaching? I am careers leader from September and have been given 50 minutes per fortnight to do the role.