1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Careers advice please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by funkychick88, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Hello,

I am in my third year of teaching and have been in the same school for the duration of this time. It is an independant prep school and I work in the pre-prep department. I began in Reception where I taught for 2 years and am now currently teaching in Year 1.

I wanted advice really as to my options and how potential employers will view my experience. Have I lost any chance of working in the state sector? I do feel that I am not developing my skills quite like I would be if I was in a state school. Would this be correct? It is hard for me to evaluate the situation when I do not have other schools to compare with. I worry that maybe I would not cope back in the state sector.

How long should you stay in your first post, irrespective of what sector you are in? Is there a good time span? Would it benefit me to stay in my current year group for a second year?

I always get comments about how nice my school must be, how good the kids must be and how lucky I am. I wouldnt say this is a true statement. Working in the independant sector was never my asperations, I simply wanted to job for the September after I graduated and was very lucky to find myself in that situation when many that I graduated with were not.

Much advice needed and welcomed,
    Thanks!