1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

career suicide?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon1369, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Since qualifying a year ago I haven't managed to secure a job, have only had 7 interviews and 6 weeks of supply work. My bank account and my spirit can not handle this anymore so I have been applying for all the jobs I can. I haven't even managed to secure any office or retail work!
    Finally I have an interview for a call centre job which is full time and permanant so at least it provides me with money and security which will allow me to move back out of home. I think it's likely that I am commiting career suicide by moving out of education and I doubt i'll ever get back in, especially as I havem't done my NQT year.
    I was thinking the other day, everyone I know in my generation seems to be having a really tough time, only 1 person has a job in the area they trained in, the rest are either looking for work or working at whatever job they can get their hands on. It's so frustrating to think that those of us who have gained a degree are worse off than those who left school at 16 and went straight into work.
    I wish all the other jobseekers well. I would still like to get a teaching job but there are none left to apply for now. Good luck!

2. I agree I was recently made redundant and my job search has come to nothing. I seem to be good at getting interviews just not the job. On every interview I've been to I've been told I've done very well to get shorlisted and I should be proud of this fact as they've had a lot of applicants and the field was very strong and this is for physics positions! This is also not much comfort to me when I'm wondering how I'm going to pay the bills. I simply cannot take anymore knock backs. My confidence is at an all time low and I know this is affecting my performance at interview. I've just seen and applied for a position at a science museum near to where I live. Its only a maternity cover but I hope I get it as I would love this job and I hope that being back at work will help me to rebuild my confidence.

Good luck with the call centre interview - I hope you get it. I know how it feels when the career you'd planned and worked hard for doesn't pan out. Even if you think it's career suicide at least you'll be getting a regular wage and you never know what'll happen in the future. There may be another recruitment crisis a few years down the line and you'll be able to get back into teaching then if you want to!

Good luck

Miss Happy

3. I know I hate this line of 'your lucky you got shortlisted!' - it doesn't make you feel any better when ultimately it was a job you wanted not just an interview.
    My confidence and self-esteem has been really low, but I'm starting to get excited about working in this call centre. I worked out that I will only be taking home £200 less per month than if I was on M1 and you earn bonuses on top of that so it's not too bad really!
    I'm still waiting to hear back from 2 teacher applications but I'm not hopeful as the closing dates were a while ago.
    Wishing you the best of luck too!