1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career Suicide -Did I just commit it?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by lidlest, Jan 8, 2011.

1. lidlest

lidlest New commenter

Thank you so much for your responses, you are really helping in my attempt to put this into perspective. I am not quite there yet, but definitely food for thought. I should be more grateful for what I have, and will try to speak to my Head to ease my worries a little.

x

2. There will be other jobs out there but your family is part of you and will be with you for the rest of your life. In the grand scheme of things what is more important? Perhaps your grumpy head will get over it and accept that female teachers take time off to have babies and that's just tough!!

3. PS Do not apologise to him as you have done nothing wrong! I think he's just worried he's going to lose a good member of staff.

4. i'm afraid i was in a similar position to you and it's left me completely sidelined and i think my career prospects are now virtually nil.
    however, being a parent has put a whole new perspective on life. as a retiring colleague said to me when i was talking about ruining my career with the pregnancy "noone gets to retirement and says "i wish i'd worked harder", they get there and wish they'd spent more time with their friends and family, watching their kids grow up and living more". and i think he's right.

5. What a lovely and inspirational thing to say. I should take that as my mantra. Good luck with the journey ladies! X

6. Weebecka has committed career suicide more times than she can count but doesn't seem to be killed off very easily.
    'Career lopping' is a better term because it indicates there is a possibility it may not be terminal, which of course it may not.
    Not as lovely or insipiration as the posts above but sometimes it's helpful to be a bit more precise with your language.
    lol weebecka (currently lecturing trainee teachers 1 day a week, doing odd bits of contract work and applying to write PhDs - things which fit round her kids - oh and discussing education on many national and international forums).