1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Career route to becoming a Dyslexia Specialist Teacher?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by TheChosen, Dec 4, 2017.

  1. TheChosen

    TheChosen New commenter

    Hi all,

    I would like some guidance on the career path/route/qualifications required to become a Dyslexia Specialist Teacher in HE?

    I have seen a few courses which focus on dyslexia, such as the Postgraduate Certificate in SpLD (Dyslexia) with AMBDA/ATS at Edge Hill. Although not all Postgraduate Certificates are BDA accredited and some require you to be working as a teacher already (which I am not).

    I am more interested in working with students on a 1-1 basis. Rather than doing a PGCE in SpLD. I would also like my course to give me flexibility and option to do other connected roles in the future rather than just being a teacher. Would the Postgraduate Certificate in SpLD (Dyslexia) with AMBDA/ATS be what I need to become a Dyslexia Specialist Teacher or are there other options?

    What would you guys suggest?
  2. moonpenny

    moonpenny Occasional commenter

    A level 5 certificate would mean that you could teach dyslexic students on a one to one basis but this would be dependant on the university job spec - when I was line managing a team of dyslexia tutors at a university,one of the tutors had only completed level 5

    A level 7 diploma would allow you to assess dyslexia giving you more opportunities and a greater understanding of SpLDs

    If you are definitely looking to work in HE, I would recommend you look for a course specialising in adult dyslexia

    However, that would make it harder to work with younger students

    Once you have the spld qualification, you could get a HE level teaching qualification such as the FHEA - most unis have in house teacher training allowing you to do this if you have a proper contract with them.

    There is unfortunately a sense of apathy amongst many dyslexia specialists working at university level caused in the main by the changes to the DSA and increased beurocracy for self employed tutors

    I do think there are advantages to working at this level as the work is often interesting and challenging due to the nature of the students

    Some work in FE/HE colleges may ask for teacher training qualifications although some will offer this on the job

    I now work as a freelance assessor but am also doing a full time PhD. Gives me a lot of freedom and I don’t miss the workplace one bit.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  3. ilovesummertime

    ilovesummertime New commenter

    You could do the OCR Level 5 Teaching Learners with Dyslexia/SpLD. I believe this will qualify you as a Specialist Teacher of Dyslexia.

    This is a really practical course with lots of 1:1 work. However, I know the course covers primary and secondary - I don’t know if it would also cover HE, but I assume it would.

    If you go onto the PATOSS website there’s lots of information about available SpLD specialist teacher training courses in different parts of the country.

Share This Page