1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career Progression

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by scienceteacher1234, Oct 8, 2017.

?

What position should I go for next?

1. Head/Director of Science

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Assistant Headteacher/Principal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. scienceteacher1234

scienceteacher1234 New commenter

Hello, I wondered if anyone could please give me some advice on my next steps for career progression. I am undecided whether to apply for a Head/Director of Science or an Assistant Headteacher position.

This is my experience to date:

7 years teaching Science within 3 schools, including:
    • 3 years as an Assistant Head of Year
    • 2 years as a Whole School Literacy Co-ordinator
    • 2 years as a Key Stage 4 Science Co-ordinator
    • 2 years as an Advanced Skills Teacher in Science
    • 1 year as a Whole School Pupil Premium Co-ordinator
    • 6 years as a GCSE Science Examiner
    I have good GCSE and A Level results for my classes and have experience of leading projects pastorally, within Science and whole school.

I know that a lot of this will be down to my decision, reading the person specification and deciding if a particular position is right for me but just wondered if anyone else has had/having to make similar career decisions at the moment or can offer any general advice?

Thanks in advance.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Depends what your long-term goals are.
    Different scenarios require different routes.

Plus- the inevitable question how long do you envisage staying in teaching? If you still have over 30 years you can take your time at the different stages and possibly move in different directions than you might think of at the moment.

Have you aspirations to be a Head eventually?

Or do you want to take longer with your chosen subject, helping colleagues develop their Science teaching?

3. scienceteacher1234

scienceteacher1234 New commenter

Thank you, Lara. That is really helpful.

Yes I still have over 30 years (35 years in fact!). Whilst part of me is ambitious, part of me is also scared of failure. Hence why earlier in my career, I had aspirations to be a Head, but now it is to be a Deputy Head.

I like the idea of both roles (AHT and Head of Science), however again I worry about failure in both of those roles, hence why I have left it until now and taken on other roles as you can see above. I guess finding the right school and the position to go with it will be key.