1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career progression from international Deputy Director

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by iandcfrancis, Aug 6, 2011.

1. I have been teaching for 16 years, the last 3 in international schools as Head of Secondary (KG to Year 13 school), lasted one year as a large number of our secondary students left due to end of parents' contracts or the economic downturn; Director of Studies (I had to leave after one year as the owner / director, NOT a teacher, and I could not agree and I was not allowed to manage anything; and now Head of Upper School / Deputy Director. I had hoped to stay at this school, probably taking over from the current director, a great man to work with, but a change of ownership might make both our futures there disappear.
    My CV is looking a bit ragged, but I have had some excellent experience over the last few years. I'd like to return to the UK, as either Deputy Head or preferably Head of an international school there. I applied for a deputy head post, which I was suprised not to be shortlisted for, and a Headship which I am waiting to hear on.
    I am looking at a Masters in Educational Leadership, then a Doctorate, by distance learning (as I'm not sure where I will be!). I'm aware I should have done this before now.
    Any advice on my next step to attain Headship? I was considered for one within the educational management company my current director was supplied by, but it was in Malawi so I turned the offer down.

2. I have been teaching for 16 years, the last 3 in international schools as Head of Secondary (KG to Year 13 school), lasted one year as a large number of our secondary students left due to end of parents' contracts or the economic downturn; Director of Studies (I had to leave after one year as the owner / director, NOT a teacher, and I could not agree and I was not allowed to manage anything; and now Head of Upper School / Deputy Director. I had hoped to stay at this school, probably taking over from the current director, a great man to work with, but a change of ownership might make both our futures there disappear.
    My CV is looking a bit ragged, but I have had some excellent experience over the last few years. I'd like to return to the UK, as either Deputy Head or preferably Head of an international school there. I applied for a deputy head post, which I was suprised not to be shortlisted for, and a Headship which I am waiting to hear on.
    I am looking at a Masters in Educational Leadership, then a Doctorate, by distance learning (as I'm not sure where I will be!). I'm aware I should have done this before now.
    Any advice on my next step to attain Headship? I was considered for one within the educational management company my current director was supplied by, but it was in Malawi so I turned the offer down.

3. Your CV sounds muddled. A prospective school is going to want strong evidence of how you have initiated change through innovation, your strength as a leader, with a strong sense of your drive to raise standards. All the circumstances around each recent post need to be simplified with a focus on what you have achieved in perhaps challenging circumstances. Things have changed since you last worked in the UK so I would recommend getting some help with your CV and letter of application. Perhaps visit some schools in the UK and ask about topical issues/recent reform etc and roles and responsibilities.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm confused - are you looking for posts in state or independent schools?
    If the former, you'd need NPQH and you'd need really to be working in a school in a leadership post to get on the course. If you are wanting to apply for state schools, you're unlikely to get interviewed for headships at this point, since you do not have recent state school deputy headship experience.
    As for the higher degrees - only do them for learning's sake - they won't help you get jobs in state schools.