1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career Path in teaching

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by adelefinley, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I'm returning to teaching after a 5 year break and even though I feel 'a bit out of it' I want to move up the career ladder quite quickly. Can anyone out there suggest an approach and the training I'd need to do. I'm starting with supply after Easter.
    Thanks.

2. I'm returning to teaching after a 5 year break and even though I feel 'a bit out of it' I want to move up the career ladder quite quickly. Can anyone out there suggest an approach and the training I'd need to do. I'm starting with supply after Easter.
    Thanks.

3. I think it would be good to just focus on becoming comfortable with being back in the classroom again, for a while anyway. The best learning is often done within schools, learning what the current priorities and developments are, etc. I'd read TES or something similar for quite a while to get up to date with educational issues.

With regard to career progression, a lot of routes seem to be going out of the window due to budget cuts. The LAs are reduced significantly, there are fewer, if any, LA run courses. There are very few AST type roles being advertised. It seems therefore that the career path open to most of us is to progress onto SMT, then Deputy then Head. The way to progress to one of these roles is to have relevant experience. You probably have a lot of previous experience so now just need to get up to date.

You may want to do a masters as this will help you learn current practice and issues and you'll make contacts which could be useful when you look for your next job.