1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career Path: Fork in the Road

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by ga8g08, Apr 22, 2012.

1. ga8g08

ga8g08 New commenter

I started a new job in September 2012 and now work in great secondary school. I'm in my third year of teaching and relinquished a TLR 2a to take my current job, but have really flourished there: my observations have generally been outstanding and I've thrived upon getting involved in the wider life of the school.
    Recently my head asked me to a meeting and said that he would like to acknowledge this with a TLR. I am interested in a curriculum career path but there is no opening for a KS coordinator in my department as we have two who were appointed this year when I was still new to the job and finding my feet.
    I've been given the distinct impression from my head that I could name a TLR that interests me and if it's feasible, I'd be in with a very good chance of an appointment. It's likely that a HOY job will soon come up but I don''t think I would be very well suited to a pastoral role. Ours is a grammar school which doesn't require a whole-school literacy coordinator (my subject is English) and has excellent transition arrangements in place. I don't want to let the opportunity for advancement pass me by but have ambitions for a HOD role in the future and don't want to start following a tangential career path. I am beginning to feel restless with the need to do something new and challenging, but I don't know what it is yet! This isn't because I have no imagination and am just clutching at higher pay; I've never had any real advice about what career path to take and what might help or hinder me in it. I feel I am a very good teacher and I'm ready for something more, but could do with some advice as I don't really know what's out there in order to match my skills base to it.

2. ga8g08

ga8g08 New commenter

I started a new job in September 2012 and now work in great secondary school. I'm in my third year of teaching and relinquished a TLR 2a to take my current job, but have really flourished there: my observations have generally been outstanding and I've thrived upon getting involved in the wider life of the school.
    Recently my head asked me to a meeting and said that he would like to acknowledge this with a TLR. I am interested in a curriculum career path but there is no opening for a KS coordinator in my department as we have two who were appointed this year when I was still new to the job and finding my feet.
    I've been given the distinct impression from my head that I could name a TLR that interests me and if it's feasible, I'd be in with a very good chance of an appointment. It's likely that a HOY job will soon come up but I don''t think I would be very well suited to a pastoral role. Ours is a grammar school which doesn't require a whole-school literacy coordinator (my subject is English) and has excellent transition arrangements in place. I don't want to let the opportunity for advancement pass me by but have ambitions for a HOD role in the future and don't want to start following a tangential career path. I am beginning to feel restless with the need to do something new and challenging, but I don't know what it is yet! This isn't because I have no imagination and am just clutching at higher pay; I've never had any real advice about what career path to take and what might help or hinder me in it. I feel I am a very good teacher and I'm ready for something more, but could do with some advice as I don't really know what's out there in order to match my skills base to it.