1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career, over?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by suertesamp, May 10, 2020.

1. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

I have come to realise that my career is pretty much finished. From the start it has been one big disappointment. I have done 2 years on and off on supply (some of this while in my third year of university), a 7 month stint as a cover supervisor which was an absolute disaster and 7 months as a teaching assistant. I graduated three years ago with a 2.1 in psychology and have nothing to show for it. Soon I will be 30, nothing to show for that either. I didn't graduate for this. In all schools I have worked in I have had to tolerate the same level of disrespect from children, other teaching staff holding me in utter contempt and other times I have even had threats from pupils. Other disappointing experiences have happened such as schools giving an offer of employment then retracting it because of poor references, and another time when I was interviewed for a lecturing post, was told I would be contacted within a week. The week past, I sent them an email, and they ignored it! It's so discouraging.
    Last week I applied for a learning mentor job, feeling it is time for me to try to take the next step in my career and have a decent salary and some stability. No interview. I have applied for two F.E lecturing jobs, but I don't expect to get very far with these. I have decided that if I do not manage to get a better job in education, it'll never happen. I've had enough.

2. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

A second class upper degree in psychology is a good degree to have. It could be there is a reason why all these are happening so you don't work in the most difficult aspects of education - teaching. Have you considered becoming an education psychologist. Your degree and the school experience already gained should meet the requirements. Check that your psychology degree is BPS recognised, conferring on you the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC). Look at the procedures for becoming a qualified educational pyschologist here https://careers.bps.org.uk/area/educational/how-do-i-become-one or there https://www.aep.org.uk/training/want-to-be-an-ep/

In terms of wages, prospects.ac.uk states: "Salaries for trainee educational psychologists in England, Wales and Northern Ireland typically range from £23,884 to £32,623. Once fully qualified, salaries begin at around £37,175 and rise incrementally up to £50,159. This can increase to £55,040 with the addition of structured professional assessment points." Your career is definitely not over. With your experience in schools, and degree in psychology, if I were you, I'll go down the route of EP and still work within the education field.

3. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Jobs here.

4. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

Link broken.

5. suertesamp

suertesamp New commenter

No training providers in my area unfortunately. This was something I looked into. But I may have to relocate.

6. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I do think you're trying to break into a difficult area, but I have to say, 3 years since graduation is not a very long time. It doesn't sound like you've applied for very many jobs - many people have to send out 50,100 applications before getting an interview, and when you are so new to a profession, having to relocate is not an unreasonable thing to consider...
    Try not to get downhearted, have a really clear idea of what you want and keep plugging away!
    As an aside, I have a 2:1 in psychology, went into primary teaching thinking I wanted to be an Ed Psych, then loved teaching so stayed in it!

7. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Well - look at all the famous people who started in one career and then made a huge impact when they switched into something that suited them better. Mao - worked as a librarian until he changed direction. Stalin - began off as a priest. Hitler wanted to be an artist....

I'm just saying, even if the worst comes to the worst, its not your 'career' which is over, its just this aspect of it. Take what you've learned, and either do your current job better, or find another job which you will enjoy more. Never be afraid of that move sideways...

The main thing is to be able to pitch your 'failure' as valuable experience. Look at Trump - he's made a mess of everything he's attempted, but he's a master of showing the positives. I can guarantee you he'll be announcing his management of the Corona Virus as another example of his brilliant leadership.

8. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

The link was for prison jobs in the UK (a range of them). '

Google UK prison jobs.

9. historyexcel

historyexcel New commenter

Simply having a degree is perhaps not a great foundation for FE lecturing, but teaching, 3 years out is nothing. Keep trying, and expand your search, think internationally.

10. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

Sit down and have an honest conversation with a fellow professional that you know well.

11. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Sorry, but are you actually a trained teacher? Your post doesn't make sense to me.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Career as what? What are you hoping to do? Your posts/threads all say you have done supply CS roles or short term CS posts...and struggled in almost all of them. I'm sure there probably are people who make a career of being a CS, but most people do it as a stop gap to something else.
    Who are you giving as referees? You have openly said that you have struggled in all posts you've had as a CS, so your references from those places will reflect this. The agency might do something better, but three years is long enough to say you have given it a good go and are changing direction now.
    What positive experiences and qualifications do you have to get that 'better job in education'?

Reading several of your threads to get some idea has given the impression that your qualities and strengths may well lie elsewhere. What would you really love to do?

Pomza likes this.