1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career options

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tailorpj, Nov 6, 2017.

1. tailorpj

tailorpj New commenter

Hi all,

I've been teaching for 3 years in a Primary school and I've decided that I don't want to be in a classroom teacher anymore. I wanted to know if anyone has advice about what you can do with a bsc Psychology and a School Direct PGCE.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The prospects.ac website has a publication " Careers beyond the classroom" which has a number of suggestions. There are options in teaching beyond just classroom work.
    Rather than focusing on your qualification you need to think about what are the triggers that motivate and interest you. Are you focused upon working with children or are you considering other options? Where do your strengths lie?
    I know many teachers who have gone on to successful jobs in very different areas from entertainment to management to social work..
    See if your old university careers service offers alumni support or you can use the national careers service for specific advice.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There was a good quote from Greg Davies in yesterday's Metro -in answer to the question "Would you advise people to go into teaching"

Its a wonderful job if you want to be a teacher. You have to feel the calling. If you do, it's the best job in the world, but if you are hoping to do something else, it's not for you. I went into teaching wanting to be a comedian. I thought I'd teach for a year and I blinked and 13 years had gone by.

4. armandine2

armandine2 Occasional commenter

PhD stipends pay above Jobseekers' allowance - and this seems the time to apply (you may need a good degree which is sometimes the top half [65+] of a 2:1)