1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career Development

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Donna Phillips, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm currently completing the SENCo Award. I feel that you need to have a bit more teaching expereince before becoming a SENCo. You will be relied upon to give practical strategies and advice to other teachers on how to deal with AEN students in their classroom. I've worked in Inclusion for seven years and spent two years in a BESD special school. I rely more on my personal expereinces and tried and tested methods than anything else. As a SENCo you need to have many difficult conversations with colleagues about their classroom practice. Sometimes it is easier if you are more experienced and therefore have a plethora of anecdotal evidence to work with. You will find the SENCo Award easier if you have some prior knowledge of SEN strategies and procedures. Much of the assessment is based on your practice within schools and you will be analysing your actions and their outcomes. Being a SENCo is very busy, very challenging, mostly rewarding and NEVER boring! I hope that this has helped.

2. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

In my experience the SENCO role tends to be done by the head or deputy or someone on the SMT. It is an extremely vital role and is unlikely to be given to someone in only their 2nd or 3rd year of teaching. There is nothing to stop you asking if you can get some experience in this area. Perhaps they will let you shadow or support the coordinator. Maybe mention it at your next performance management and see what they say.

3. Ah thank you very much!
    I'm currently shadowing our SENCo and have been asked/offered to cover the role during her maternity leave. It's my dream to do it but I don't want to do it and 'waste' valuable experiences gained from co-ordinating a subject. However, I would like to take on something I am extremely passionate about, and might provide equally useful experiences for my career! I've been given the choice and am trying hard to think what would be in my, and the school's, best interests.
    I don't really know what's best to do!