1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career Development in International Schools

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by jacob_j_adams96, Sep 8, 2019.

1. jacob_j_adams96

jacob_j_adams96 New commenter

Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been asked, I was wondering what the process is in getting promoted in international school? In terms of career development would it be easier to move around in the UK? I would rather go down the subject route of HoD rather than HoY pastoral roles. Would working in an international school harm my job prospects when moving back to the UK?

Many thanks for your answers.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

post this in the working abroad forum. progression in international schools is very different to the UK. it is not uncommon for people to go up and then back down to classroom teacher when moving countries

3. sidekick125

sidekick125 New commenter

Agreed that it is very different, however, there is no way as a member of SLT internationally that I would move back down the scale to go back to the U.K (or return to teaching in the U.K generally). Internationally, you develop a lot of additional skills that SLT members in the U.K don't. Marketing, sales, communication, financial strategic planning to name a few, as you are working in a for profit company and not just a school.