1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career Crossroads

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by bethany-13, Feb 11, 2018.

1. bethany-13

bethany-13 New commenter

Hi,
    Sorry for how long-winded this is.
    So I've been thinking a lot about my career lately and have come to a bit of a crossroads. I achieved my Level 3 qualification in college and have recently graduated from a BA (Hons) Level 6 qualification at university. I had had in mind to become a teacher and applied and successfully got on to a PGCE School Direct teacher training course but found after half the year that it wasn't for me at the time and the workload and stress was maķing me ill and depressed. I don't like to view my decision as 'quitting' but taking a different path, but essentially, yes, that is what I've done.

Now, I love working with children and definitely want to work in the childcare/education sector. I may even decide to go back in to teaching at some point in my life after some experience. I managed to get a full time position as a nursery nurse working in a day nursery, which is where I currently am. The thing is, I feel this is a step down from teacher training, even though I'm earning money, which I am enjoying after years of relying on student loans and having to work part time during studies, I hate explaining to people the situation about the teaching thing. I'm also Level 6 qualified and would like to hopefully be in a higher position at some point to which reflects my qualifications. I've recently been thinking about undertaking a Masters degree alongside work, having intentions of one day being in childcare management or even running my own establishment. I feel as though I'm stuck in a rut, any advice?