1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Career confusion (Higher ed. to independent sector?)

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by rebecca88888, Mar 8, 2016.

  1. rebecca88888

    rebecca88888 New commenter


    I hope I'm posting this in the right place - it's my first visit to the forum!

    I'm looking for some career direction from you wise people. I'm British but I've been teaching English in Parisian universities for three years now. The job is great but I'm looking for something more stable for the future, because while there is an endless supply of work it's only temporary contracts so I don't have any job security or much right to maternity leave pay/pension contributions etc.

    Therefore, I'm trying to think how I could transfer to international school or private school teaching in the near future. With several years experience in higher ed. & a Master's from Oxford do you think there's much chance of my being considered for teaching jobs in the independent/international sector, either abroad or in the UK? If I were to qualify as a secondary school teacher in France, would this qualification be recognised or taken into account by UK independent schools?

    Any advice from anyone who has knowledge of these sectors would be greatly appreciated. At the moment I feel a bit like I'm in a forest and can't quite see the way through!
  2. rebecca88888

    rebecca88888 New commenter

    (And I should perhaps have mentioned that I have some experience of teaching school-aged children too, as I work from time-to-time with a private company teaching preparation classes for the French equivalent of Oxbridge.)
  3. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    Do you have QTS? Many of the better international schools will require this, and in the UK it is a pretty common requirement for indy schools too. Not for all of them, but a goodly number.

    EU legislation on free movement means that it would be accredited to get QTS.

    Scroll down here.

    Your main problem is going to be complete lack of experience of teaching GCSE, iGCSE, A-level and IB. Read this article, as some of the points in here will apply to you.

    Teachers from abroad looking for jobs in England

    And perhaps this one too . . .

    Working in a British School in Europe

    Best wishes

  4. rebecca88888

    rebecca88888 New commenter

    Thank you very much for the reply! That's really helpful information, much appreciated.
  5. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    (The missing thumbs-up emoticon)


Share This Page