1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career changer with law degree

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by flora35, Nov 30, 2019.

1. flora35

flora35 New commenter

Hi, could anyone advise me as to whether or not I can apply to teach Biology or Geography with A levels only in those subjects? My third A Level is English Lit. I have a law degree (2:1) and 10 years’ experience in law.

Most of the applications seem to ask for a degree related to the area you would like to teach.

Many thanks.

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Yes, that’s fine. You will do an SKE. My advice would be geography as science teachers teach all three sciences. Get your application in.

3. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

I've met several former lawyers who now teach English (and quickly achieved leadership positions). You don't ask, so perhaps you have your own reasons for not wanting to teach English...

4. install

install Star commenter

Yes- go for Geography as others have said.

5. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

You're not likely to be out of jobs with English. I'll go for that if in your position. With a Law degree, I bet you would also be able to teach A-Level Government and Politics which is very popular in many schools - including Sixth Form Colleges.

6. za_zeeshan33

za_zeeshan33 New commenter

Law degree + English Lit A-Level seems like a good setup to teach English?
    Or like Dr Jay said, Gov and Pol at A-Level is a good option too, good pay as well I heard.

agathamorse likes this.