1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career Changer - Offered a Place on PGCE Further Education - Can I apply for work?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by teachtechie, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Hello All,
    I am changing my career from an IT professional (in IT support) to teaching IT in Colleges and Sixth forms. I have recently been awarded a place on the PGCE (PCET) part-time course to start in September 2011. I am wondering whether this will make me marketable in terms of looking for teaching posts?
    As I am undertaking a part time route, I was hoping to earn and learn, however my workplace has just changed its policies and removed the ability for reduced hours. Consequently, I am looking for a teaching post in a College, which will enable me to train whilst earning.
    Does anyone have any advice in terms of whether it is realistic for me to look at teaching roles, or assistant roles, given I have a place on the PGCE course? Do you think Colleges will be interested in me, or should I really wait until I have the qualification?
    If there are any Colleges out there in the East or West Midlands area, then I am available and looking!

Kind regards
    Techieteach!

2. Hello All,
    I am changing my career from an IT professional (in IT support) to teaching IT in Colleges and Sixth forms. I have recently been awarded a place on the PGCE (PCET) part-time course to start in September 2011. I am wondering whether this will make me marketable in terms of looking for teaching posts?
    As I am undertaking a part time route, I was hoping to earn and learn, however my workplace has just changed its policies and removed the ability for reduced hours. Consequently, I am looking for a teaching post in a College, which will enable me to train whilst earning.
    Does anyone have any advice in terms of whether it is realistic for me to look at teaching roles, or assistant roles, given I have a place on the PGCE course? Do you think Colleges will be interested in me, or should I really wait until I have the qualification?
    If there are any Colleges out there in the East or West Midlands area, then I am available and looking!

Kind regards
    Techieteach!