1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career changer NQT - still searching to find work

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by SandySimmonds, Sep 2, 2020.

1. SandySimmonds

SandySimmonds New commenter

I am a career changer who qualified in July. Despite many applications prior to the summer holidays, I’ve had no success to find a post. I know there’s others out there in the same situation, and I am trying to remain positive... However, there is a shortage of positions to apply for. I feel it would be a personal travesty if I can’t find a suitable role after a decade of juggling running a business and raising a family whilst studying a degree in History, and gaining experience in varying roles in education prior to studying my PGCE. I’ve so so much to offer...What are other people’s stories? Though my passion is to teach I also need to earn a living...I’d love to hear some feedback from anyone who can relate. Many thanks :)

2. funkymonkey

funkymonkey New commenter

You will experience many knock backs on your road to getting a job. There are many candidates applying for each job except, perhaps in schools that are undesirable for whatever reason. Just keep positive and when you get the chance to show your passion in an interview situation then go for it. Don't take it personally. Try supply teaching, it is often a foot in the door. You will get a job sooner or later so in the meantime try not to get too down about it.

On a practical level you could ask someone to look at your CV.
    Good luck

bijalc and sabrinakat like this.
  3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Have you tried supply? I know it’s not ideal, but at least you’re earning a salary (as well as getting some experience) - due to COVID, there wasn’t that many vacancies this year due to the fact that not many teachers moved on. I would expect that now schools are back open, there will be ‘more’ vacancies advertised, either for a January or Easter 2021 start, however, you do often get a couple of vacancies that arise that do require a candidate ‘urgently’ so that could work in your favour considering you won’t have any contractual obligations.

bijalc likes this.
  4. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

Get someone to check your applications/cover letter etc- I am guessing you completed placements so maybe someone from your school could take a look for you?