1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

career change

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by deleted531, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Hi all,
    Can anyone put my mind at rest. Last year I decided to go into teaching after being a retail manager for 21 years. When I applied and was interviewed for the PGCE in geography, I was assured that there would be plenty of jobs availableand that I had no need to worry. However, I have only seen 1 job for geog advertised in the NW England area and none in my home of Liverpool.

Any advice anyone ?

2. Hi all,
    Can anyone put my mind at rest. Last year I decided to go into teaching after being a retail manager for 21 years. When I applied and was interviewed for the PGCE in geography, I was assured that there would be plenty of jobs availableand that I had no need to worry. However, I have only seen 1 job for geog advertised in the NW England area and none in my home of Liverpool.

Any advice anyone ?

3. Cavy123

Cavy123 New commenter

Just keep applying for posts. Realistically though I think you have been duped by propaganda. There is no shortage of teachers. Even maths teachers. So all of those who are moving out of the collapsed financial sector are infor a shock. I am currently working as a TA because I can't find a post.

4. Thanks ,
    Yes that is what I am starting to think. Got a bit nervous when my uni tutor suggested to apply for anything even if it wasn't in my subject area. Now I am even more worried as my fall back plan ( back to retail ) doesn't look so hot now as many companies have closed down since Christmas.

Anyway I won a tenner on last night's lottery so things aren't all bad.

5. I wish I could put your mind at rest but unfortunately I can't. The situation is really bad at the moment. I know that many teachers are struggling to find work. I've worked in education for ten years and I have never seen it this bad. The reality is that if you qualify within the next few years you will really struggle to get work. You might get supply - maternity leave and so on but it would be miraculous if you got a permanent job. That means you will probably have to go without wages in the summer months. I would advise you to stick to retail at the moment until it gets better. The problem is compounded by the fact that the recession has struck the world over and teachers are coming to Britain for work. I have no problem with this - I'm Irish myself, but there is a lack of teaching work internationally so teachers are moving around more. It's a pickle. Wish I had better news. I don't know why the complete crock is still being sold to people that there is a shortage of teachers. Completely the opposite is true. I think they should start limiting the intake on teaching courses in Ireland anyway because they're only being trained to go abroad.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Dear Aimsroe
    This is a post started 3 years ago by someone who has subsequently been banned by TES (Hence the name Deleted . . .), so this person will not be expecting your kind advice.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars