1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career change with teaching qualification (PGCE)

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by jasonjsmail, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Hi All

I have been teaching since 2011 (primary) and as of recently I have become increasingly curious about other careers where my teaching skill set could be applied. I've done many google searches into other jobs that teaching qualifications would apply to (My route was the PGCE), but unfortunately there are not as many as I would have expected. ANY advice would be much appreciated, and since teaching nowadays is literally like 10 jobs rolled into 1 I'm very optimistic about there being a wide range of other professions which would benefit from my transferable skills.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, nobody is going to say (under Desirable but not Essential) "teaching qualification an advantage". Well, some might, I suppose. Social work?

Just apply for anything and everything you fancy. Then spin your teaching experience into what the new job requires. What was your degree? Teachers go on to work in a wide variety of jobs. It's really up to you to make yourself look good on paper.

Go about it that way. What do I fancy? Rather than - who wants a person with a PGCE.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Many jobs have person specifications which you can then, if you are clever, relate to the skills you use as a teacher. I even managed to shoehorn my teaching experience into applying for referendum counting.

grumpydogwoman likes this.