1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career Change | Thinking of applying for Schools Direct (salaried)

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by TRL050, Nov 6, 2016.

1. TRL050

TRL050 New commenter

Hi all,

I've been working in PR for over 3 years but a lot of my earlier experience was working with / volunteering with children and young people ( running informal educational prgrammes etc).

My role at the moment still means I work with young people and recently - after speaking to my mum - who has been a primary school teacher for almost 20 years, realised it's something I'm now ready and want to persue.

I've found some schools in my area and am looking into applying for the schools direct (salaried) for Primary through UCASs. However, I've read a lot of blogs and forums that have told me this is going to be extremely competitive or not worth it if I haven't been a TA.

I meet the entry requirements and I'm looking into getting some recent in-school experience, but as I want to send my application this side of the new year so that places don't fill up and I work full time (no more annual leave left) will it be an issue or affect my chances at all? If I can get a few days in before I send my application, will that be enough?

Please can people offer any advice at all on the SDS process as I'm really keen to go for this.

Thanks in advance.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You may meet the statutory entry requirements (degree, GCSEs grade C), but you also need to spend at least 10 days in the classroom prior to starting the course (and preferably before interview), and some providers have very specific requirements about time spent with year groups and so on. You can always state on your application that you intend to get further experience, and you could be offered a place on the condition that you do so. But as you say, it's very competitive, and you'll be up against people who have been TAs and volunteers for long periods of time.

Unless you have actually spent recent time in a primary, how can you be sure you want to teach in one? It will be very different for your mum than it is for you if you're successful, she has many years of experience to fall back on, but you'll be working 60+ hours a week from the PGCE.

3. TRL050

TRL050 New commenter

Thanks @blueskydreaming.

I'm also currently looking into Ark Teacher Training (I have an insight day at a school with them) and Premier Pathways - any thoughts on these routes? I think Premier is relatively new.

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Never heard of them, sorry.