1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career Change - Looking into GTP

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by W_Stevens, Jul 12, 2011.

1. After being made redundant in October last year (after 14 years) I decided that I would like to become a DT teacher. I subsequently found another Graphic Design job.
    I have looked into the GTP option as I really need to keep a salary, but I have been told that the starting wages would be under 16K... this is a massive pay cut and may stop me pursuing teaching as a career.
    I am a Scout Leader, and an Archery GB instructor so have experience working with children.
    I have had a single day in a DT dept, and helped students with thier project. Being short of days that I can take as holiday, I will need to wait until the new year to gain more classroom experience.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    W. Stevens BA Hons.
    Newmarket, Suffolk.

2. After being made redundant in October last year (after 14 years) I decided that I would like to become a DT teacher. I subsequently found another Graphic Design job.
    I have looked into the GTP option as I really need to keep a salary, but I have been told that the starting wages would be under 16K... this is a massive pay cut and may stop me pursuing teaching as a career.
    I am a Scout Leader, and an Archery GB instructor so have experience working with children.
    I have had a single day in a DT dept, and helped students with thier project. Being short of days that I can take as holiday, I will need to wait until the new year to gain more classroom experience.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    W. Stevens BA Hons.
    Newmarket, Suffolk.

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Well, best of luck as the other way in (PGCE) requires you to pay £9000 to do the training.
    Oh and neither route guarantees a job; a job, that if you get one (and over 50% of this year's trainees haven't), will pay around £21K.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You need to assess the local job market. D& T is in a tricky position as it is not part of the E-Bacc curriculum so demand for D& T teachers in some schools has dropped. Contact Suffolk LEA the Teacher Recruitment manager there( Neil) can give you his perspective on the local situation.
    You also need to find out from the local GTP EBITTs about the number of places they have allocated for D&T and the schools who have used GTP in the past. Check their recruitment system whether you apply directly to them or whether you have to find a school to employ you then apply.