1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career Change in Dubai

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by charlieray, Jan 3, 2019.

1. charlieray

charlieray New commenter

Hi,

I have been a primary school teacher for 6 years now, having worked in 3 different schools in 3 different countries. After this experience I am sure that I no longer want to continue as a classroom teacher. I can do my job fairly well; however, it is an extremely draining job and I feel unhappy. I don't feel it is for me. I have tried to leave many times but due to the lack of response from other fields, I end up back as a classroom teacher because I need a job and an income.

Teaching has so many transferable skills but I don't think many employers see that. I have been applying to administration type jobs, recruitment jobs, training jobs and even alternative roles in schools but have not had any luck. When I post my C.V on recruitment sites I get interest from schools for school teacher roles but absolutely nothing from anything I apply to. I have tried to make my C.V. more "corporate" with the help of a HR manager from a finance company but all my experience is still in schools which I can't really change. It probably doesn't help that I don't specifically know what I want to be.

My husband is in Dubai, so I'd obviously like to stay here. Has anyone changed career from being a teacher in Dubai? What fields are more likely to accept teachers? Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to make the specific transition from teaching to another profession ?