1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career Change Help!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by MichaelaMixx, Nov 19, 2017.

1. MichaelaMixx

MichaelaMixx New commenter

Hello all!
    I am currently 5 years into teaching, having taught at three schools (both private and state) and have been a Second in Department. I am incredibly unhappy with my life in teaching and I am desperately trying to find alternative careers. I’ve been searching for two years and applied for various other jobs not in teaching, to not receive one reply back suggesting interest in employing me. I am at the end of knowing what to do. I am still young enough to retrain (I’m 27) but with a mortgage to pay for, I have very limited opportunities for further study due to financial circumstances.

Has anyone left teaching in this position? If so, I’d love to know what you have moved on to and how you made yourself seem more employable. It has become clear to me that being in teaching massively limits employability and other sectors don’t seem interested in employing a teacher.

Any help would be very much appreciated, as I’m totally at a loss of what to do.

Thanks you all for your time.

2. 123Vanilla

123Vanilla New commenter

In theory, you should have loads of transferable skills. What about the civil service? HR? Is your subject something you can make work for you self employment wise? Do you have a hobby that you could turn into a business?

I volunteer with the CAB and I was told that an ex teacher was take on as a session supervisor, with just a small amount of volunteer experience. So, charities? TA work? Learning mentor?

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

There is funding available for people to get a second degree in a STEM subject so even if you've already have a degree you can get another one accessing things like student loans etc. You could also look into the OU and the courses they offer and work out if you can balance that that teaching, I did for a while as a supply teacher. There's also the opportunity to get a postgraduate student loan to cover the fees etc of a masters degree. Having a PGCE will not exclude you from doing this.

catbefriender likes this.
  4. MichaelaMixx

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I currently teach English. Im very interested in undertaking further study. My only concern would be still not having a job I love by the end of it! Definitely something to think about though. Thank you!

5. mbuch

mbuch New commenter

You are right. Having remained a teacher does bring down employability big time.
    You might want to try the courses offered by CIPD. They have an interest free instalment plan and it's a very reputed body to associate with.
    I did the same after 7 years of teaching and am currently pursuing Learning and Development that falls under HR. This is where you can take a lot of your transferable skills as a teacher and I am absolutely loving it. It is a great way to upskill beyond those so called CPD sessions offered by schools.
    Some companies offer HR shadowing for a few months, some provide work experience to get a headstart in the next job. With a CIPD accredited course, it shouldn't be too difficult finding a job. Might be at junior level but it would be well worth it.
    You can stay within the education field and become an ITT trainer or a corporate trainer. Goodluck with whatever you choose to do.

MichaelaMixx likes this.
  6. MichaelaMixx

@mbuch Thank you so much! I sometimes feel like I'm going insane but reading this has made me feel better. I will definitely look into CIPD courses. I feel so ill-prepared for a life outside teaching, but after 5 years, I know it's the right decision to make. Although, it is terrifying, as I have come straight through from school-university-PGCE-teaching and put my heart and soul into it. Thanks for all the advice!

7. minceandquince

minceandquince New commenter

Would you be able to go part time while you retrain to do something else? I currently work three days a week and am doing a floristry course one day per week. Private tutoring could also supplement your income while you retrain.