1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career Change for an RQT

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pendtoni, Mar 1, 2020.

1. pendtoni

pendtoni New commenter

Hello,

I'm an RQT, Reception teacher, and former Year 3 and daily/weekly supply teacher (supplying and cover supervising EYFS, primary and secondary).

I'm wishing to leave teaching. I qualified in July '17 and I'm fully understanding what I'm genuinely qualified to do aside from teaching for a future career. I can't afford to go back to Uni' at 26 years old to do a 3rd degree. Teaching abroad is also not an option as my partner is currently in her NQT year.

I'm wondering what other teachers who left the career this early have gone on to do and what they found that they were qualified for. I'm on £26k (due to the new main scale adjustments) and would need to be able to know how what level of job I'd be qualified for also to avoid taking a huge pay cut. I know this would be difficult to avoid, but I'm seeking advise as my current workplace situation and low confidence is pushing me away from the profession.

All answers welcome.

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

You are in a good position with your current salary to find something that will match, a few years later and it gets more tricky.

I have three friends who left teaching entirely, one found a job in IT and the other two both got jobs in the civil service and say they work with lots of ex teachers. Starting salaries for a lot of civil service positions are similar to what you are currently on.