1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career change: FE to Primary?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by IndianaJ97, Sep 1, 2015.

1. IndianaJ97

IndianaJ97 New commenter

Hi all,

I currently teach in FE, I know I love teaching but I need a change from my current role teaching various science subjects in an FE college. I know that I love teaching and want to stay in education and so I'm giving serious thought to moving into Primary. I wouldn't be looking to teach a specific subject but would like to work as a class teacher in a primary environment.

How feasible is this as an idea? Has anyone else made a similar move? I have a PGCE but I'm not sure what else I need to make the move! All thoughts and advice would be most welcome :)

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

If you want to be a class teacher, you won't be teaching a specific subject - the expectation is that you can teach them all.

You also need to think about which Key Stage - Early Years/Foundation is very different from Key Stage 2, for example. And if you opt for upper KS2 (Y5/6) you'll be under pressure for SATS.

There are those who do make a successful transition, but this is something you do need to research more.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hmn, yes . . . you are not the only person who thinks that they would find it more rewarding/enjoyable/easy/stressfree in Primary . . .

So much so that there's one I prepared beforehand. As you can guess from the tone of what i say, I am not too sure that you WILL find it more rewarding/enjoyable/easy/stressfree in Primary.

[​IMG]

But here is my advice. Pre-prepared as so many people ask this question.

Moving from secondary to primary

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

4. IndianaJ97

IndianaJ97 New commenter

Thank you both for the replies - I'm under no illusions about the amount of work involved in primary! I imagine that there will be just as many challenging six year olds in primary as there are sixteen year olds in a college too!

It's not that I'm seeking a change for a stress free life, I have several friends who teach in mainstream (both primary and secondary) so I'm familiar with the workload and their stresses... I certainly don't think it'd be a soft option! I feel that (perhaps controversially) FE is on a greater amount of shifting sand in terms of objectives than schools and the pool of funding (and students) grows ever smaller each year... One for another forum perhaps :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck . . . but do read the advice article carefully.