1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career change CV advice

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by dancermegz, May 11, 2019.

1. dancermegz

dancermegz New commenter

Hi all -
    After a lot of thinking over the past year, I’ve decided to leave teaching at the end of this academic year.
    However, I’m finding it difficult to re-jig my CV to appeal to a non-teaching career. Does anyone have any helpful places to look/ suggestions how I can use my CV to sell my transferable skills from teaching to prospective new employers please? Other than working in Tesco as a student, I’ve only ever taught.
    Ideally I’d like to work in publishing. But I’m not against anything at first, like working in a bank, that will pay the bills or help me gain some experience before I can get a publishing job.
    Any help is appreciated!
    TIA

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

Hey. I’m excited to hear about your career change plans. I left teaching at Christmas and began my new job in the engineering & manufacturing industry at the start of April.

I took a long time tweaking my CV. I made a number of different versions, even downloaded Etsy templates. I’d tried to leave teaching before but didn’t make enough effort to sell myself as something other than a teacher on my cv so I could not leave.

Have you done any admin work?
    You’ve done lots in teaching.

One of my cvs was a skills based one. You could divide yours up into customer service (tesco), voluntary (anything publishing related?), admin (teacher related) and then broader teaching skills too.

Good luck.

3. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

You could pay a CV writer to do this for you. If you google professional CV writer and find an individual freelancer, as opposed to an organisation, that is experienced in this kind of thing, it may work. But always be cautious before you part with your well earned money.

And Good Luck! Hope you make it to the other side.:)

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  4. julien6

julien6 New commenter

pepper5 likes this.
  5. dancermegz

dancermegz New commenter

That sounds great, thank you :)

pepper5 likes this.
  6. naclyn

naclyn New commenter

Hey Julie, I would like to contact you about career change after leaving teaching.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

That is the key point I was going to make. You should have a CV for every job you apply for. This won't vary that much if the jobs are similar, but you need to make sure that all the key things in the job specification, especially the person specification, are clearly in your application, with evidence.

julien6 and pepper5 like this.
  8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Oops!

pepper5 likes this.