1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career Break Advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kramsay12, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Kramsay12

Kramsay12 New commenter

Hello,

I am a primary teacher with Glasgow City Council and I am looking to take a career break in October for a year. I will be moving to Australia with my partner for his work and ideally I will do classroom assistant work for a while until things are more settled and then hopefully move into a teaching post.
    I have spoken with the council and they have told me that I need to 'make it in their interest' to grant my career break and have asked what value and benefit it would be for them to let me go.

I am looking for advice from people who have had their career breaks granted in similar situations and what topics I could include in my application.

TIA

2. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

You mention career break for a year? Is your partners role in Australia only for a year, do you have plans to return?

3. Kramsay12

Kramsay12 New commenter

Yes his role is only a transfer within his company for a year. We will be returning to the UK after this.