1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career advice

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by valentinovannini, Mar 5, 2019.

1. valentinovannini

valentinovannini New commenter

Hello,

I hope you are well. I was hoping if you could help. I am a qualified Art & Design teacher. I was born and raised in Italy and came to teaching after a career in the hair and beauty industry. I read Drama, Art and Music Studies at the University of Bologna (History of Visual and Performing Arts) straight after secondary school but I did not complete my degree in order to take the reins of the family business. In 2011 I came to the UK as my partner was relocated for work and I took this as an opportunity to complete my degree in which I gained the equivalent of a first class honours degree. I then got a teaching qualification (PGCE (secondary) in Art and Design at the IoE in London) and started teaching in a comprehensive secondary school in East London which was under special measures. The Art department I worked in played an important role in upgrading the school's OFSTED rating as it was one of two departments mentioned in the OFSTED report as making significant contributions to the improvement in results. I am now in my third year in the same school and I am looking to move on. I have applied to a large number of schools but seem to be unable to get selected for interview and I cannot figure out why this might be the case. Are my non-UK qualifications are barrier? Is the fact that I am an Art Historian a problem even if I am a practising artist? Am I too expensive (inner London M4+TLR) for Art departments? Is there something wrong with my CV? Is my personal statement not good enough? I asked my peers to review it and they all say that there is enough good material in it to at least warrant an interview but for some reason this does not seem to be happening. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Valentino