1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career advice please

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by graeme75, Jun 18, 2019.

1. graeme75

graeme75 New commenter

Hi all

First post here and looking for some advice please.

I'm about to enter my 20th year of teaching this September, and I am dreading the prospect already. Throughout my career I have mainly worked in FE institutions (teaching Maths and some IT) and my enthusiasm over the past couple of years has waned. When I started I was mainly teaching adults and A-Level with the occasional resit GCSE thrown in. Over the past few years this has flipped, in my current role the bulk of my time is with 16-18 year old GCSE resitters (forced to be there), who are disengaged in the main. Our college does not have any A-Level provision. I also teach GCSE to adults which I absolutely love, but the number of adult students is diminishing. I also do a lot of 1-1 tutoring which I get a lot from.

Over the last couple of years, I have had less enthusiasm for the bulk of my 16-18 teaching workload (I realise that they may be more engaged if I am, but I can't seem to muster up the enthusiasm as I can for adults, A-Level and 1-1). I'm in a rut as I know its going to be a daily battle to get work out of many students. I have rarely encountered this as I previously teaching A level Maths/IT, adults, maybe I have been extremely fortunate over most of my career. I dont know whether to leave the profession (as I like teaching per se) or have a complete break and look for some data analysis type work (anything with numbers and spreadsheets).

If i'm honest with myself some of the reasons I am still at my current workplace are : near to home, at highest point of salary, not much pressure/expectation (as I have experienced or seen in my friends who work in schools) but I dont really want to drift anymore and getting very little job satisfaction. I'm 45 so hopefully not to old to be able to carve out a 2nd career.

I feel at a complete career brickwall and unsure of the next move. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading.

Thanks

rolchadax likes this.
  2. Qwerty139

Qwerty139 New commenter

Have you managed to save any money that would allow you some breathing space?

3. graeme5475

graeme5475 New commenter

Unfortunately I don’t have any significant savings to take time off

4. abuzayd1987

abuzayd1987 New commenter

If you still like teaching then apply to jobs in secondary schools, independent sector preferably, or if you are lucky enough to live somewhere where there still exist a decent number of sixth form colleges then apply to those too. Basically realise that there are multiple teaching environments outside of FE colleges with the conditions you described.

Lastly, going abroad is also another option depending on your personal circumstances.