1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Career advice please!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Shabas, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Situation: not happy, extremely frustrated, becoming very synical about the school i am in.
    Background : started part time teaching role in nursery in september. I have spent time trying to make the classroom 'work' and 'flow' properly. (I share a room with NQT who does afternoon session) However, most of changes have been asked to put back (they weren't that radical in the first place!) Had audit of environment done and 3 weeks ago and was told that what wasn't in place eg 100 square (this is nursery!) to 'just get it done'. Have been told today to move the 'targets' display onto another wall and other things elsewhere. I have been teaching 17 years and have set up many a classroom in my time. I'm feeling like i am being treated like i am new to teaching. Surely my time is worth more than staying on one afternoon to redo these displays which quite frankly will not impact the children, level of teaching and ultimately levels of learning.(Feel like asking if they want it done, then pay me to stay and do it in the afternoon!) AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH.
    Outcome: do i stay or should i go? Quite tempted to get unions in for unnecessary workload demands!!
    END OF RANT
    Please someone, give me some inspiration to stay! I have a great TA and the rest of staff great, but anything i do is simply not good enough.

2. Situation: not happy, extremely frustrated, becoming very synical about the school i am in.
    Background : started part time teaching role in nursery in september. I have spent time trying to make the classroom 'work' and 'flow' properly. (I share a room with NQT who does afternoon session) However, most of changes have been asked to put back (they weren't that radical in the first place!) Had audit of environment done and 3 weeks ago and was told that what wasn't in place eg 100 square (this is nursery!) to 'just get it done'. Have been told today to move the 'targets' display onto another wall and other things elsewhere. I have been teaching 17 years and have set up many a classroom in my time. I'm feeling like i am being treated like i am new to teaching. Surely my time is worth more than staying on one afternoon to redo these displays which quite frankly will not impact the children, level of teaching and ultimately levels of learning.(Feel like asking if they want it done, then pay me to stay and do it in the afternoon!) AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH.
    Outcome: do i stay or should i go? Quite tempted to get unions in for unnecessary workload demands!!
    END OF RANT
    Please someone, give me some inspiration to stay! I have a great TA and the rest of staff great, but anything i do is simply not good enough.

3. Who are they, the ones who are telling you to do this and doing room audit ?
    Why are they telling you what to do ?
    Is LEA guidance at the back of these requests ?
    Is NQT's mentor involved with this at all ? Is it to get NQT through the year rather than for the children? What is NQT's take on this ?
    Should not they be saying these gripes to both of you not just you ?
    I don't know what to say here except that I think we have all been there in one way or another and if it helps, yes it is very demoralaising and not effective for the children..
    Being part time is tricky too but if it gives you a work/life balance than might be worth hanging on to this job ?

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

The political system and - the curriculum - require a high quality learning environment. This is not always probed in depth - because in the principles of the EYFS we look at four aspects of this, not just the physicality of the classroom or setting. Things like relationships come in here. But everyone is stuck on where the waste paper bin is placed.
    Who is telling you to do this? Could they help you to do it?
    I have a game - it is called "Spot the inadequate workshop area" - lots of photos of workshops and you have to guess which is good, outstanding, inadequate. If you get it wrong you have your leg sawn off. It's a game with a twist.
    Probably just do as they ask and then smile sweetly. It's a shame you are part time becaus part time posts are harder to find. But try for another job where there is not all this horrible pressure on you.

5. In reality the grass is very rarely greener on the other side of the fence. You may well find another job (in which case you obviously aren't looking in my LEA where there is didly squat) but there will be other pressures and problems.
    Smile and negotiate. Set out your opinions calmly and rationally but there may well be forces at work here that are outside your control.
    By the way, what is wrong with nursery having a 100 square? Get one ordered from your usual supplier and - if you really don't want the children to look at it - hang it in a dark corner but lots of nursery children are fascinated by big numbers. We don't stop them looking at books with big words so why restrict their exposure to bigger numbers?

6. Thanks for posts - just so frustrated i can't be the teacher i want to - no room for independent thought!

7. This is what it comes down to Shabas - ownership and autonomy. We seem to have so many management people now that there is no longer a sense that the teacher has control over their working environment. The managers have to earn their money for something and show they are in charge, so they take over that control. Unfortunately, it is rarely a case of entering into a dialogue - more often what you have experienced - just do it! The sad thing is that these people do not know the children and have not used the environment - so they are not actually the experts they like to think. They may have all the theories (actually many don't - they just have preferences), but that is not enough - the theories have to be tempered by the practical circumstances.
    I have loads of sympathy for you. Especially as i have just spent 3 weeks decluttering a nursery environment only to be told - "It is not wow - where are the drapes? Why isn't there anything hanging" This despite the fact I was led to believe that I had full support of SMT during the process.... grrrr...
    By the way, if anyone can point me in the direction of research that supports the idea that children learn and behave best in calm and uncluttered environments I would be eternally grateful I'm so sure it's true, and have plenty of anecdotal evidence, but would love some back up! Msz? Hedda? Anyone?

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

There is some stuff in communication friendly spaces if you google that.
    Personally, I like a bit of clutter..............................

9. Thanks Nelly. I don't mind clutter during the day, or if it serves a purpose, but this was dust laden old brown curtains viciously stapled to lovely community playthings cupboards, brittle green net with out of date seasonal laminated pictures downloaded from the web, that tripped children up as they passed, tatty photocopied sheets torn at the edges peeling off cupboards, lots of identical pictures 'created' by children ....etc....etc....

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

11. Thank you Msz - fantastic!

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter