1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Care home fees

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon2113, Mar 9, 2012.

1. I'm sorry (and will probably get slapped down for this) but are you saying that you want to divert funds that will support your Mother in her care home and put the burden for her care on the tax payer?

2. No, there is nothing you can do. If you do anything with her savings now they will still count as hers when she is assessed as you will be deemed to have done it deliberately to avoid fees. Sadly if you have saved you are penalised, if you are feckless you will be provided for. Just be glad she doesn't have a house they will take as well. That's what we will be faced with.

3. Thinking back to my Gran, I think if you want to avoid fees you have to sign the house over or put the savings in someone else's bank account years in advance. Sorry.

4. impis

impis New commenter

While I understand your sentiment here, Baubs - from a tax payers point of view, there is another argument from the other side.
    Why should someone who's spent all their money as they earned it, enjoyed it, in whatever way they wanted, - spent it on cigarettes, holidays, beer, fast women [or whatever] - - and not saved any - why should they have their care paid for, and the careful person's care not paid for? That isn't fair either is it - and certainly doesn't encourage anyone to save for their old age.
    I visit a couple of care homes weekly, with my dog - and I'm constantly surprised at how they try to cut costs [rationing toilet paper, for example], while charging £2,000 per month for a room with board. Blimey, you could go on an all inclusive holiday - or an all in cruise for less than that! [and with much better facilities. The place i visit is a charity too - supposed to be a non-profit making organisation. What do they spend the money on????
    Anyway, one lady who I visit weekly came into the home at the age of 90. She's now 100. Before coming into the home, she gave away £90,000,000 . - £30,000 to the guide dogs for the blind, £30,000 to the cats protection league, and £30,000 to another animal charity. Those gifts were allowed and she's never been asked to get the money back. So maybe giving to a charity would help to get rid of assets.

5. So you are saying that someone who has been fortunate enough to amass a modicum of wealth throughout their life is morally justified in trying to re-appropriate that wealth in order that the rest of society pay for their old age care. Whereas someone who has not been fortunate to amass a modicum of wealth are just feckless?

I would rather pay toward the care of the old lady who has struggled all her life and presently lives in a council house down the road than for Mrs. Chamondley-Smythe-Harrington who managed to "off load" her 6 bedroomed house just in time.

6. I think the SS can look back 7yrs into your financial records to see if any funds have been given away. This is 7 years prior to requiring a care home place. If you try to divert funds they can demand it back. You are allowed to give away up to £3000 pa to family/ friends as gifts but they will obviously be suspicious of large sums disappearing. As for charitable giving, I'm not sure but I reckon this too would be considered to be diverting funds. If, however, you spend the money on something eg. a new kitchen, a cruise, this is acceptable. The problem is giving the money away.

My mum could well have a problem ... she has dementia and may eventually need a care home. last year she gave my brother £18k to get his house repaired after it suffered subsidence. He did not have insurance against this risk and could not get a loan because he already has debts. My mum was his last hope and she wanted to help him. Having said that, she has plenty of money so they probably won't bother to chase this up.

Has your mum had a financial assessment done by the SS?

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Are all poor people feckless? Nice.

8. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Yes, this is right I think. My mum has court of protection for her dad - he had to go into a home in 2010 after my grandma died as he has dementia. He did have a house to sell, so all the proceeds from that will pay for his care for the next few years, until it runs out. The home is something like £800 a week.
    My mum's brother-in-law (who is incredibly greedy) wanted my mum to give all her siblings gifts of £3000. Inititally he didn't want my grandad to go into a home because he was hoping for the house one day, despite the fact that my grandad can't even remember most days that my grandma isn't here anymore.
    It is sad that you can save for years, or have a nice house, and it all ends up being spent on a care home, but obviously it's important that you're looked after in your old age. I don't know what the difference is between a private care home and a council one. The home my grandad is in is lovely.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

We're just facing this with my Mum.

No, people are correct that if you dispose of anything at this stage it's considered as 'deprivation of assets' and they can sue you for it even going back several years (it may indeed be 7 years, as that's the usual figure for any tax 'dodges').
    We're currently even investigating an annuity, whereby one pays an amount up front (non refundable unless death occurred within 6 months of the start) and should Mum last longer than the expected time-frame the insurance would fund all the Care fees till the end of her life. Even that my solicitor says could be considered as 'deprivation as assets' as we'd be 'disposing' of some of her assets, even though it would ultimately ensure my Mother would be cared for until 'end of life', so i'm going to investigate just how 'big' the annuity will be and then possibly argue the case, in court if neccessary.

10. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

Totally agree impis. It's neither right nor fare [​IMG]

11. And ... self-funders are charged more than those who are funded by the state. I think the amount paid by the SS falls short of the actual fees, so to compensate, the care home owners charge paying residents more. Not fair at all. I think the lesson we should learn here is that if you want your offspring to inherit anything, give it to them when you are still in good health and reasonably young.

12. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

what price euthanasia booths?
    throw the old codger in and the family could walk away with the inheritance.

13. Have you got a relative in a care or nursing home?

14. lurk_much

I am about to lose my father to one. TBH it would be better if he was allowed to die. If he was capable of killing himself he would.

15. That does not mean that everyone feels the same way. Your comment was personally directed and should have been kept as such.

16. I have just cried, possibly for the first time in my life, at the waste of life as advertised on the Look North article regarding the recent deaths of young soldiers in Afghanistan, ably assisted by (I think) the late Eva Cassidy. I like to think that had they lived, they would have grown to be as old as the people so callously cast away by their families and casual posters on here. It shouldn't be a crime to live to old age.

17. copycat, does your mum receive Attendance Allowance? If not, she may well be entitled. It's not a means tested benefit and could help towards the care home fees.

18. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree here. I'm in the process of applying for the higher level as Mum will now be staying in care.AA is only paid to self-funders and though at the current rate of Care Home costs is a 'drop in the ocean' , but every little helps.

19. lurk_much

and it shouldn't be a crime to assist in a suicide when the alternatives are bleak.

20. Bleak for whom?