1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cardiff..to see/do/eat...and park!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grandelf, Mar 29, 2012.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Simple really

Few days booked thanks to a mega cheep hotel deal.

What to see
    What to do
    Where to go and eat
    Any ideas for cheep parking in or around queens street. At the moment looking £18 per 24 hours...which is going to be more than the hotel for 2 days is costing!

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sunday 1st April. Cardiff ice rink (out by the Bay) otherwise known as the Big Blue Tent. Cardiff Devils vs Coventry Blaze. Playoff quarter final second leg.

3. You have to visit Cardiff bay- it is a lovely place to be when the sun is shining. There is a boat trip which goes from the bay and you will get to see the sights. You can easily walk from city centre to bay but there are lots of buses- you pay £3 a day and you can travel as many times as you like.
    To eat- well there are loads of places. Giovanni's is a brilliant Italian restaurant. Authentic and welcoming. Tiger Tiger for a cheap lunch and half price cocktails in the evening. Jamie Olivers restaurant is popular as is the potted pig. Parking is expensive in Cardiff! Last time we went we stayed in a hotel which only charged £3 for 24 hours. I don't know where you are travelling from but is catching the train an option instead of taking the car?
    I love Cardiff.
    LJ

4. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

thanks blazer will keep it in mind!

We did think about taking the train but as we are going further north once we have finished in cardiff we need the car.

1st time visiting so we shall see!

5. Don't stand on the third flagstone to the left of the Cardiff Water Feature opposite the Millennium Centre.

6. cherryaimless

cherryaimless New commenter

Where is your hotel? Is it in the town centre itself?

7. cherryaimless

cherryaimless New commenter

Sorry - What I meant was - which end of Queen's Street are you? Because I can suggest free parking, if you don't mind a tiny walk...........

8. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

We will be down near the castle.
    For free parking I dont mind walking!

9. The castle is beautiful. Worth a visit.

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Elfie can only do a tiny walk!

11. With lots of wee breaks.

12. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

only during a quiz!

13. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

And only if you're at the quiz!!!

14. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I get sympathy pains.....

15. The Castle car park is free after 6pm and you can park there all day for £8. The new car park under John Lewis is also meant to be reasonable. Free parking is only available, to my knowledge, in residential areas, which you may not want to do if you're not familiar with the area.
    I would explore the castle and the gardens next to it and also check out the museum, which is practically opposite. St David's 2 is good for shopping/ eating (but the Arcades have quirky independent shops) and the Bay area is lovely, especially if the weather's nice, with some fantastic bars and restaurants, a Norwegian Church and art galleries.
    Hope you enjoy your trip! :)
    CG.