1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Car tour of America

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Oct 30, 2015.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As its a special wedding anniversary next year,or just because i fancy, I am considering hiring a car in the States and going driving with Mrs Oldy in tow ( not literally lol). we can stay along the way. I hope to be away for at least 2 weeks.
    What I would appreciate is some ideas..
    Where to start .eg west or east coast
    What I might see
    Remember I am a photographer and so like being snap happy.
    or indeed if you have any other ideas as some of the parks are so big they would take a few days to see.
    i dont do amusement parks or the ilk unless its something to special.
    Thank you.

2. oldsomeman

Also best airport to start at if you know please

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

How very exciting, olds. You must DO it

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

But...will Mrs Olds go with you?

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I find the jet lag worst going East so I would suggest flying to the West coast and driving towards the East. Would you prefer more National Parks or more cities?

Next time we go to America I plan to use Air B&B for the accommodation but Mrs Olds might not want to be that adventurous.

6. oldsomeman

Please herself.I am sure i could find some other pleasant person to go with me...as long as it sa non nagging woman lol
    Mind you i will sell it on the idea she can knit in the car as we travel for 2 weeks and no daughter to bend her ear lol

7. oldsomeman

I was hoping to sort of visit but not stay in cities.i realise i have to do a lot of research into this yet....wonders if he can make her camp and save a fortune

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Fly to Newark. Hire a car. Go to the Poconos. Go to Jim Thorpe. Go to Philadelphia. Do white-water rafting and cycling in the Poconos. Pensioners from Florida do it so you certainly can.

[​IMG]

Drive town to Kutztown to see the Amish in their buggies.

[​IMG]

I know this part of PA but it's the US. You could go literally ANYWHERE and have a great time. I suggested Newark as the flight isn't long and it's easy to drive out of.

9. grumpydogwoman

[​IMG]

This is my cousin's town where she runs her restaurant.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

No advice olds, but you definitely have to persuade Mrs Olds.
    Sounds like just the ticket for your wanderlust. And with the event of a memorable anniversary will provide just the excuse you need.
    The states is a big place though with everything from wide open countryside to 'Little Europe'.
    If you're interested in history Philadelphia and Washington DC are a must.

11. oldsomeman

Boston looks nice as well
    i an torn between east and west as i would love to visit cowboy country and up to yellowstone.but it is such a vast place,
    yet New England looks nice

12. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

We did a bit of an epic road trip 4 years ago. Flew to San Francisco then drive down the Big Sur - amazing views and stopping points. Saw loads of whales, dolphins, sea lions etc.

Then cut across to Arizona - took in a drive in movie, grand canyon ( the family did white waster rafting , I wasn't brave enough) then back to Vegas - meh , not for me.

Then took a flight to Cleveland for great lakes and Niagra ( very crowded but awesome in the true sense) before driving on to Washington which I loved for the museums and history but the younger generation less so, then flew home.

We booked flights and first hotel before we went but used WiFi to book hotels as we went night by night so that we could be flexible. Led to some interesting places - worst hobos fighting in the pool area, best treated ourselves to the Hilton on the 20 something floor in Vegas.

In the past we've also driven down route 1 from Newark to Florida , passing through lots of great places. Enjoy.

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

How many hours a day do you plan to spend driving? That's the key to where you go isn't it? We've done 300-400 miles a day on European roads in our camper van and frankly we're on our knees by day 5, but at least we're in southern Spain or Italy by the time we need a rest. Camper vans are easier to drive than cars over long distances.

Would hiring a RV be unacceptable to Mrs Olds? More initial outlay but cheaper accommodation costs and greater flexibility. Plus you don't need to make a detour to find a loo.

14. grumpydogwoman

But driving is so easy in the US. Miles and miles of lovely straight roads and so little traffic.

15. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

We've done three 'big drives' across the States. First was Chicago to South Dakota with lots of twiddles. Then Minneapolis to Yellowstone round and back. Last trip was San Francisco, down the Big Sur, across to the Grand Canyon across Death Valley, up through Yosemite across to Lake Tahoe and Sacramento returning back to San Francisco.
    The first trip we planned to the nth degree and the other two we just had a vague idea of three of four places we HAD to visit and just trusted to luck. There are so many motels it's easy (apart from the drive back from Yellowstone when every motel for a 200 mile stretch was booked up with either roadworkers or rail workers (that's a story of very thin lips and cross words) however, motel reception staff were just so helpful and one rang her friend who had a room she let out occasionally.
    One thing to watch out for though...Cheeto Fingers - the curse of the long distance driver

16. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

When are you going and what are your separate or joint interests? we've done loads so will be happy to pm you our itineraries.

17. xena-warrior

@gdw: We drove almost the length of Wyoming and passed about three cars on the way! Overcrowded Earth. Well, not there.

18. xena-warrior

We had the same thing in the Southern States after one of their hurricanes - loads of (perfectly nice) construction workers and chocca motels, cos that's where they're put up.

19. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

It's the random nature of the States which I love. The quirky roadside museums - International Vinegar Museum in South Dakota.
    And as for the assumption that the Americans are brash, ostentatious blah blah blah. upload_2015-10-30_20-18-50.png

20. oldsomeman

To be honest i am a scenery man with interests in anything which catches my imagination.I love to meet locals and to stop at 'places' but i would think 200 miles a day is enough as I am finding more than that means you just zip past everything.
    Mrs Oldy goes along with the ride as long as she can find a loo..she often drops of to sleep in the car unless i keep talking.....but she likes towns and cities and exploring sights and places.......she DOES NOT like museums and art galleries.....nor shops a lot.However if she finds a wool shop l will never get her out..I would just go and get a drink and wait.;)
    We both like mountains..lakes and old churches and other things which catch her interest, I am the adventurous one but because her sight is failing i do need to be near. If i let her wander off i have a problem finding her as she never stays where i ask her to stay or meet me:(
    Other than that we are not fussed.