1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Car tax

Discussion in 'Personal' started by daisychain, May 1, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I wonder if you can help. I am currently going through a messy divorce. I am driving the car that is in my husbands name, with his permission, as it will eventually be signed over to me. We no longer live together. He has the log book and the reminder from the DVLA regarding the car tax. The tax ran out yesterday, and he will not give me the info that I need in order to tax the car. If the car is not taxed, and it is found by the police, or reported by someone, who will be responsible for it? Me, as i am the one who is driving it, or him, as it is registered to him.
    Please help,
    Many thanks,
    Daisy.

2. Hi,
    I wonder if you can help. I am currently going through a messy divorce. I am driving the car that is in my husbands name, with his permission, as it will eventually be signed over to me. We no longer live together. He has the log book and the reminder from the DVLA regarding the car tax. The tax ran out yesterday, and he will not give me the info that I need in order to tax the car. If the car is not taxed, and it is found by the police, or reported by someone, who will be responsible for it? Me, as i am the one who is driving it, or him, as it is registered to him.
    Please help,
    Many thanks,
    Daisy.

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

The registered owner.

4. As MM says the next step lies with the registered keeper and if your ex has not transferred ownership ( and is still the registered keeper) he has a legal obligation to either SORN it or tax it.
    As it stands he is liable but remember the car's insurance is invalid whilst it is untaxed and so you (as the driver) are breaking the law.

5. Thank you. Hmm, don't know what to do.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Why has he given you permission to drive the car but refused to hand over the tax stuff?
    Isn't that a bit nose off to spite face?

7. Because he is an ****. He just wants to make my life as difficult as possible.

8. Just tell him you are going to park the car outside the local cop shop...it's up to him.

9. I am worried that he will argue that I am the keeper of the car. I am tempted....believe me!

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

It might be possible to tax it without the reminder or log book. At the end of the day, DVLC are more interested in getting the money. Why don't you get in touch with them and explain your predicament?
    One other thing to be wary of is that from time to time, the police have a blitz and if they find untaxed vehicles on the road they take them away and crush them.
    Is there a mutual friend who could talk some sense into him, bearing in mind he's going to be the one who cops the fine.

11. If his name is on the log book then he is the registered keeper and thus liable for the car. Unless your name is on the logbook he cannot transfer any liability over to you.
    He could, however , report the car as stolen..ie. you are driving it without his consent.
    I would get this sorted ASAP.

12. It is very tempting to leave it outside a police station!!!

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Have you looked a the DVLA website? I have renewed my tax disk online the last few years. It could well be that you have enough details to do the same? In any case,you cannot drive the car without the valid tax as it will cause you problems. Call his bluff and tell him that he either let you have the necessary details or you will leave the car outside and phone the relevant authorities to find it.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Seeing as he is now playing games and putting you in a difficult position legally (re insurance cover), forget about the arrangement to take over ownership of the car (why was that not done immediately?) and get yourself another car a.s.a.p, telling hime to pick up his car from the roadside before it is clocked as being untaxed.
    I wouldn't try any on-line tax registration as you will be clueless about whether his insurance on the car still stands, or still covers you driving it, and the tax disc would be sent to him, not you anyway.

15. I have looked on the DVLA website and I need a number to buy tax online.

He would not sign the car over to me until we had sorted out the finances and the financial agreement is signed.

If I leave the car on the road.......the car will be taken away, I wont have a car and I could be liable for not taxing it.

It is all such a mess.

16. He was, is and always will be controlling.....hence the divorce.

17. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/owningavehicle/untaxedvehicle/dg_4022059
    He is the registered owner and so is liable to be fined if he hasn't declared it as SORN, not you.
    You must not drive the car though, as it's untaxed and hence uninsured.
    The only thing you can do is take your stuff out of it, park it up, and let him know where it is in case he wants to tax it and collect it.
    Time to get a car of your own, I guess.

18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

As it is,you have a car that you cannot legally drive. Also,you are not liable to tax it as you are not the registered keeper.

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

No. He will be liable for not taxing it.
    Get yourself a car and remove the car transfer from the divorce agreement. The untaxed car is then his problem.

20. Does he have a swimming pool?