1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

car tax

Discussion in 'Personal' started by slippeddisc, Apr 26, 2012.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I haven't had a reminder and have just realised it's due in a few days. What do I need to do it at the post office if I don't have the reminder?
    For some reason I can't get on the gov website to check.
    Is it the registration/log book thing.
    MOT and insurance?
    or do I need the reminder and I'm screwed?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

You can still apply on line by quoting the 11 digit reference number shown on the front of your registration certificate and your vehicle registration number. I have done this before.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

At the Post Office:
    You can also tax at a DVLA local office or by post to selected Post Office® branches.
    You will need:
    • Registration Certificate or New Keeper Supplement
    • a completed V10 'Vehicle licence application'
    • insurance certificate or cover note – must be valid when the tax disc comes into force
    • valid MOT certificate - if the car or motorcycle is over three years old - must be valid when the tax disc comes into force
    • the payment for vehicle tax (not needed if your vehicle is exempt from paying vehicle tax)
    By Phone:
    You can tax your vehicle online or by phone if you:
    • are the registered keeper of the vehicle and your name, address and any vehicle changes are updated at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
    • have a ‘Vehicle Licence Application/Statutory Off Road Notification’ (V11 reminder) or Registration Certificate (V5C)
    • have valid insurance covering the use of the vehicle on the day the tax disc comes into force
    • have a valid MOT, Goods Vehicle or Passenger Service Vehicle (PSV) test (if needed) which is valid when the tax disc comes into force
    • have a debit or credit card - a £2.50 service charge applies when using a credit card, there’s no charge for using a debit card
    • have a valid exemption certificate
    You can renew your tax any day from the fifth day of the month.
    <h3>Apply by phone</h3>Apply by phone on 0300 123 4321. Text phone/minicom 0300 790 6201.

4. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter