1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Car salesman - just need a rant

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doitforfree, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

We bought a used car from a well respected local dealer this week. The car is fine and the price was good (I think!) but why are car salesmen so terrible? They do all that stupid thing of telling you how you have the cheapest, best value car in the garage and how they can hardly afford to feed their children,so hard have you bargained. This tends to make me never want to go back again. Why would I want to return for more of the same? I don't think we've ever bought more than one car from any garage!
    He told us he'd get it MOTed, but it turns out it already had an MOT, from October, when they bought it, although it's not yet three years old. Why would he say this? Why not just point out how marvellous it is that it's MOTed until October rather than us have to get one? It's just silly. I came away wondering how much of what he'd said in total was just manufactured because he thought it was what we wanted to hear. Why can't they just be honest? Are they born like this? The daft thing is that it's a nice car at a good price and he really didn't need to say any of the stupid things he did. It's as if they just can't help themselves.
    And he spelt 'cello' 'chelo'. Give me strength.
    Rant over! Hopefully we won't need another car for a good few years.

2. Doitforfree

We bought a used car from a well respected local dealer this week. The car is fine and the price was good (I think!) but why are car salesmen so terrible? They do all that stupid thing of telling you how you have the cheapest, best value car in the garage and how they can hardly afford to feed their children,so hard have you bargained. This tends to make me never want to go back again. Why would I want to return for more of the same? I don't think we've ever bought more than one car from any garage!
    He told us he'd get it MOTed, but it turns out it already had an MOT, from October, when they bought it, although it's not yet three years old. Why would he say this? Why not just point out how marvellous it is that it's MOTed until October rather than us have to get one? It's just silly. I came away wondering how much of what he'd said in total was just manufactured because he thought it was what we wanted to hear. Why can't they just be honest? Are they born like this? The daft thing is that it's a nice car at a good price and he really didn't need to say any of the stupid things he did. It's as if they just can't help themselves.
    And he spelt 'cello' 'chelo'. Give me strength.
    Rant over! Hopefully we won't need another car for a good few years.

3. I agree - I hate buying cars! One thing though, if he said that he would MOT it, then you should insist on a new MOT so you have it for 12 months- otherwise he has missold it you.

4. Doitforfree

He did misell us. His exact words were, 'I'll get it MOTed for you if i can. I don't know if you can get one before it's three years old' (a lie. Of course he must know). He went away and checked and came back and said he could. He claims not to have known it already had an MOT and thinks I am splitting hairs. I explained to him that I wasn't bothered about the three months of MOT but that I couldn't understand why he didn't just say it already had an MOT when he found out (though I expect he already knew...). He says all cars are MOTed when they arrive at the garage if they have less than six months' MOT (which, if they got ours in October, wouold be just about right, as it's actually due in March when it turns 3) and he didn't realise how long they'd had it. Which all sounds like a lot of baloney. He thinks we're lucky to have 9 months of MOT on a car that technically didn't need one. I just wish he'd told us the true picture. We'd have been delighted to have it MOTed until October. It's as if they can't help themselves telling lie after lie to put a gloss on everything. It's just not necessary, and it makes them seem so dodgy!

Sorry, I'm ranting again.

5. I don't understand this MOT problem. A car does not require an MOT until 3 years after the date of registration. You say that the car was MOT'd in October....if that is the case then it was MOT'd unnecessarily early. Even then the MOT should run from exactly 3 years after the date of registration. You also say that the car is not yet 3 years old. In which case the October MOT has not even come into force yet.
    Sounds like the salesman is a bit of a rogue...I would contact the dealer directly.

6. Doitforfree

Well I did wonder about that butI couldn't find anything on the Directgov website. It says you can get an MOT early but doesn't say anything about when it runs. But I can't see it could go from the three year anniversary or you could get one done nearly a year early and it would last for nearly two years, without the car getting a proper check at the proper time. What he said half made sense, that is, that when they sell a car they make sure it has at least six months MOT (or is at least six months before its first is due). What didn't really make sense was that they did the MOT when it came in rather than waiting for a sale, though I suppose if its done it means there's no delay, and we were once held up from buying because an MOT needed doing. But then they're taking a seemingly unnecessary risk that they won't sell the car for six months and would have to do another MOT for it still to have six months left at sale.

I might ring the MOT people and find out for sure about the rules!

7. You can get an MOT done early (usually 28 days) and it will run from the date your existing mot expires. If your car doesn't have an mot then it will run from the 3rd anniversary of the registration date.

8. Doitforfree

VOSA says it's quite legitimate (though the man said I should contact trading standards about the 'we'll get it MOTed for you' promise, when it already had one) and that it's correct that it runs for one year from October. It doesn't start on the 3rd anniversary. I did read somewhere about requesting an extenstion in these circumstances but it doesn't really seem worth the effort at the moment.
    Anyway, thanks for your comments. It pushed me into checking it was legal and correct!

9. I stand corrected. :¬))

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I find car salesmen to be a certain type and the bigger the car dealership,the worst they are. Cheap men in cheap ill fitted suits!
    I bought a car last year and I actually drove 20 more miles to a smaller town to avoid the big multiple branches car dealership in Aberdeen as I can't stand their sale people.

11. Car salesmen only marginally beat mobile phone salesmen *shudder*. The last one we had cause to spend time with kept on about unlimited text-es.

12. My cousin went from getting old ladies to sell their houses to the bank so they could rent them back from the bank to becoming a car salesman.
    He's actually a nice guy.
    My other cousin is a lawyer in the City - again he's a nice guy. Just got lots of money.

13. Six years ago, we bought a new car from a main dealership. We selected the model we could afford, paid the deposit and were told that delivery would take between four and six weeks. After about a month, someone from the dealership phoned to say that there would be a delay in supplying the model for which we had asked, but sugared this pill by telling us that a higher specification model could be supplied within a few days and at a knock down price of only £2400 more, £500 less than the normal price. With strained politeness, I declined his offer.
    The six weeks came and went, but no car, as did eight, nine and ten weeks. Since we seemed to be getting nowhere by repeatedly contacting the dealership and Skoda UK's head office, we wrote a letter to both cancelling the sale and asking for our deposit to be refunded. Finally, we went to a solicitor, who wrote to Skoda UK on our behalf, which cost us £200. Skoda promptly offered us a higher specification car for only another £2000, which we rejected. Eventually Skoda did return our deposit and the solicitor's fee, but it took nearly five months from placing the original order.

14. Doitforfree

Oh, I'd forgotten! We had something similar. We ordered a new car - the basic specification with added air conditioning - did the deal and waited. The garage tried to renege on the deal saying it would take too long to get the car and they would have to give us less for our own car in part exchange (this was in the Ts and Cs). We said it was fine. Our car wasn't worth much anyway, we didn't need the new car until our baby was born so we didn't mind the wait and the depreciation. The garage were incensed. They tried to brow beat us into changing our minds. Obviously THEY stood to lose on the deal as they'd not set the level of depreciation high enough and our car was losing more value in the wait than they'd allowed for. We stuck to our guns and settled for a higher specification which came with the air conditioning included and which was available straight away.
    I don't understand why they're like this. I can only think of one garage we've ever been to where the salesmen didn't come over as crooks. And why do they all wear the same weird pointy shoes? Do they go to car salesmen school to learn how to be a crook and how to look like one?

15. If he looked like a crook, why did you buy a car off him in the first place?