1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Car repair advice

Discussion in 'Personal' started by captain oats, Jan 1, 2012.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Oh what a great way to end 2011 and begin 2012. Yesterday while driving (during the day, without alcohol I would like to add!) I was trying to turn in the road and accidentally reversed into a rather high kerb. As a result I now have a crack in my rear bumper on the passenger side. The bumper has come slightly loose, by only a few centimetres.

I am not vain about my car so am not really that worried about the cosmetic damage (the car is a 54 reg and I am not looking to sell it in the near future) my worry is the fact that the bumper is loose. I am worried that it will only get worse and eventually fall off! How likely is this to happen?
    I know the easiest solution is to get this fixed but this will no doubt cost a fortune, money that I cannot afford right now. How long can I leave it like this? What should I do?

2. Duct tape - brilliant stuff [​IMG]

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'd second Duct Tape if we're talking about a plastic bumper that's cracked and just needs holding together, but make sure the surfaces you apply the tape to are clean enough to eat your lunch off. For a more permanent repair consider using some sort of epoxy glue like Araldite along the edges of the crack, supported (when dry) with Duct Tape.

If a fixing has come loose where the bumper joins the rest of the vehicle, pop down to a small local friendly garage and ask for an estimate to fix just the fixing. Don't bother with main dealers - they'll spin you some yarn about replacing everything, and will charge you a fortune for the privilege.

4. captain oats

Thanks for the advice. Think I will go with duct tape and see what happens.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

usually plastic bumpers are so mad1 so they can be replaced if damaged in small bumps.The main cost is in the painting to match your car unlesstoy are fortunate and its in black,

6. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I put up with a loose bumper for a couple of years and went around with unsightly tape holding one of the edges on. I did not want the expense of having to replace the bumper. Then one day I popped into a car body shop repair place just along my road to ask advice. They drilled two little holes and screwed in a couple of screws. Success, and the guy would not take any money for doing it.

7. captain oats

Wow that was lucky, where was this place??